Three GM questions

Frobby

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Frobby said:

1.    Do you want Duquette back after 2018?

2.    Mike Rizzo's contract is also up in 2018.    If Rizzo had interest in coming here, would you prefer him to Duquette?

3.    Let's say Buck is ready to retire as field manager after 2018.    Would you want him as our GM (1) over Duquette, or (2) if Duquette goes elsewhere?

1. Yes.

2. Maybe?

3. No.

The team of DD/Buck has given way to a new era of success for this franchise. I do believe they'll be able to continue shaping that, even as the team itself inevitably starts to change after the 2018 season (when Jones, Machado, Britton, etc., all may be gone).

Rizzo has done good work in DC, yes, but he's also frequently had a much larger payroll to play with. And, yes, his organization took better advantage of their years as a doormat and built a fairly strong MiLB system... But the Orioles had massive drafting and development issues BEFORE DD. It's been systematic since the late 90s. I don't think it's a problem changing our GM will EVER fix. It's a matter of changing ownership. Which seems unlikely.

1.    Do you want Duquette back after 2018?

2.    Mike Rizzo's contract is also up in 2018.    If Rizzo had interest in coming here, would you prefer him to Duquette?

3.    Let's say Buck is ready to retire as field manager after 2018.    Would you want him as our GM (1) over Duquette, or (2) if Duquette goes elsewhere?

I like DD but let the O's move on after 2018. If Buck retires as a field manager I prefer the new GM gets to hire his own manager.

Hypothetical, while we're at it... what if Buck (loving control) says he's wants to stay as manager beyond 2018, but will only do it as a GM/manager combo?  Would you be willing to do that?

I think doing both jobs well simultaneously is almost impossible, so no.

1. I would be quite happy with Dan beyond 2018 as GM  and I think it would impact his decisions if that choice were made right now with an extension. 

2. Nope

3. Buck can manage the Os as long as he wants. But I would move on  to a young gun type GM if DD doesn't stay. 

The reason I asked the Rizzo question is that I think he has done a better job than Duquette at building a good farm system, while at the same time fielding a very competitive team.    I'm not sure he could do it in Baltimore, though.

There is no doubt that he has built a better farm system.

Unless Dan is given more authority, say president of baseball operations I doubt he's back. I can see Buck moving up to GM.

Is President of Baseball Operations anything other than a fancier title?    Andy MacPhail held that title, but so far as I know he had the exact job responsibilities that Duquette has.   They called MacPhail "President" so that they didn't need to fire Flanagan, who like Duquette was the EVP of Baseball Operations.

Hypothetical, while we're at it... what if Buck (loving control) says he's wants to stay as manager beyond 2018, but will only do it as a GM/manager combo?  Would you be willing to do that?

No thanks. 

Archived