They All Break

weams

7 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Despite his current jersey I hope Price is not, in fact, broken. I've been a fan of his since he helped the Rays close out the Red Sox in his rookie ALCS in 2008. 

I like him too - in fact, I like the current Boston roster of players a lot more than versions past.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Yes, it is unfortunate, but he still gets paid. It is sad when a young, promising pitcher (or position player) has a career ending injury before he gets his payday. Organizations take risks and somehow manage to move on.

Hardly career ending. I hate to use the word "only" but it's only Tommy John. What's the return rate? 80, 90% ?

7 hours ago, scOtt said:

Have to say Pap was higher on my list too. Went so far as to make me side with Bryce freakin Harper!

Ortiz, Papelbon, Lackey, Ramirez, Schilling... Josh Beckett at one point but I warmed up to him.

...on the current team, I'm not a fan of the Panda or Han-Ram but not to the level of the others.  I may grow to hate on Mookie Betts if he gets demonstrative in Oriole games.

19 hours ago, esmd said:

They've got a surplus of starters, so it's not a desperation situation for them, but obviously not a good development for them.  Makes me wonder if he was pitching hurt last year, hence the sub-par season.

They certainly don't have a surplus of David Prices, though.

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Ortiz, Papelbon, Lackey, Ramirez, Schilling... Josh Beckett at one point but I warmed up to him.

...on the current team, I'm not a fan of the Panda or Han-Ram but not to the level of the others.  I may grow to hate on Mookie Betts if he gets demonstrative in Oriole games.

I can tell you from personal experience that Ham-Ram is an massive jackass

A good point I saw..somewhere. He lead the league in innings the last 2 years. Red Sox have an at least decent 6th starter, but can they throw as many innings? Will the bullpen wear out more if not?

6 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

A buddy of mine who is a Sox fan got to spend a weekend with Mookie through a mutual friend. Apparently he is an awesome guy as well as a good bowler. I really want to hate him but can't find a good reason. 

On 3/2/2017 at 11:36 AM, weams said:

Shoulders are not Tommy John. Now, could his career be over? Sure! And the Orioles are on the hook for a season. In no way can you compare the loss of Tillman to Price. In any fashion. 

First, David Price has always seemed like a good man and one who "deserved" the payday even if he now becomes recent example #1 of why investing so much in pitchers is always dangerous.

Second, Weams, you are correct above, but for unintentional reasons.  You are right that comparing the loss of Tillman to Price is a non starter.  However, only because the situation is MUCH MUCH more dangerous and relevant IF the injuries impact the season for Baltimore.  

Setting the personalities aside here, there are only a handful of teams that can afford to sign the types of contracts that go to the top shelf free agent pitchers.  We always bemoan the fact that the Orioles are not in on them.  But what everyone seems to miss is that it really isn't that Baltimore or other teams cant afford the commitment.  It ultimately boils down to the simple fact that they cannot manage the risk.

If Boston, or the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees or say Nationals sign and then subsequently lose someone like David Price, well they can afford it because they either have the depth to overcome it or the pockets to simply go get what they need to replace him.  THAT is the real reason that Boston can afford him and Baltimore cant.  And Weams, THAT is why Tillman's shoulder right now has more potential impact on the AL East than David Price.  Therefore I complete agree with your statements above and I join others hoping for the best for David Price.  But put me in the column that sees this as being potentially a big deal for Boston, but not as big a deal as the current questions surrounding Tillman's shoulder.

Or at least that is how I see it...

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

A buddy of mine who is a Sox fan got to spend a weekend with Mookie through a mutual friend. Apparently he is an awesome guy as well as a good bowler. I really want to hate him but can't find a good reason. 

Cool!  Has he ever met Dustin Pedroia?  Se seems like a good guy too, just a pest on the diamond.

Archived