Hmm...I read that earlier today and so missed this part:

4. Baltimore Orioles: Brian Matusz, LHP, University of San Diego

It seems to be coming down to Matusz or Smoak in this spot and depending on who you talk to, the O's are going in different directions. I came very close to switching to the bat here, but the gut is telling me the southpaw is the pick.

Last week's projection: Matusz

I would hope we go with Smoak. Well really, I hope Hosmer but Smoak will do just fine.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you mean, together again?

I certainly think there's value in drafting Smoak but I don't understand your post.

They are childhood friends, have known each other since they were like 8. I think they played in HS together too, but I think it's just alluding to the chemistry or "family" bonus of bringing in a guy that our superstar prospect is really good friends with.

I think it's a good idea if Smoak is one of the highest ranked guys still there at #4, and we would take him if Wieters did not play for us, but we shouldn't overdraft him because of it.

Damn, I didn't know that about Smoak and Wieters...That is pretty cool.

Nor did I. That's like one of those sappy stories they show on ESPN when they have nothing better to talk about. Haha.

By the way, I think that's all the more reason to target Smoak in this year's draft.

Jonathan Mayo says we're looking at Matusz, Smoak or a "dark horse". I'm wondering who that "dark horse" could be?

http://draft.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/05/the_rumor_mill.html

I wonder who a dark horse would be. I wonder if Posey would be considered a dark horse, since it would be an interesting pick with Wieters already in the system.

I also think it is interesting that the Rays would move Longoria to bring Alvarez up as a 3B.

I wonder who a dark horse would be. I wonder if Posey would be considered a dark horse, since it would be an interesting pick with Wieters already in the system.

I also think it is interesting that the Rays would move Longoria to bring Alvarez up as a 3B.

I think I would be more surprised if Posey made it out of the top 3 than anyone else - an advanced college bat at C that profiles as all-star caliber.

If we count out Smoak, the Becks, Hosmer, Alvarez and Posey from the dark horses, my idiot's opinion is the dark horse is Skipworth. There's plenty to like with Skipworth and no real weaknesses. His biggest problem is being a HS position player who might be several years from a ML roster.

Archived