Kevin Gausman 2017

Frobby

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I thought Kevin Gausman's stuff was impressive today, even if his command wasn't.    His breaking stuff is much improved and I think he'll have a big year. 

Also, in the inning where Gausman walked in a run, I thought the ump blew at least two strike calls and arguably three on the lead off batter.    So, with a couple of breaks he easily could have gone 6+.

From what I saw, this AB wasn't the only one where he was squeezed. 

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I thought Kevin Gausman's stuff was impressive today, even if his command wasn't.    His breaking stuff is much improved and I think he'll have a big year.    It's a bit disappointing he only went 5.1 innings, but don't forget that the first "hit" of the game was a lazy fly ball that Smith probably should have caught, and the second "hit" was a ball that Schoop booted.   Also, in the inning where Gausman walked in a run, I thought the ump blew at least two strike calls and arguably three on the lead off batter.    So, with a couple of breaks he easily could have gone 6+.    Very satisfactory outing for Opening Day so far as I'm concerned.  

Agreed 100% - great outing by KG. As others have said in this thread, he was obviously pumped to start opening day - who wouldn't be. I think some of the command issues came from him starting to over throw later in the game. He hit 98 on a 3-ball count and walked a guy. The fastball came nowhere close to the dish. But that was just him trying to throw the ball through the guy's bat. I think he's going to become our true ace this year. 

That might also spur Bundy's progress - I can see these two guys playing off each other, competing, etc., for years to come. 

Besides stuff that moved like that of King Felix, he had a bit of arrogance on the mound that I hadn't seen in him before, when his number mirror the prime (performance not numbers) years Felix and he is in the running for cy young, remember the name

Cumberbundy

Guys, these pitchers have to start going deeper into games. That's the bottom line. They have to get their pitch count down. The bullpen will be spent by July if these starters are only going to go 5 innings. if you can't see that, then i don't know how to help you. I get that you guys love the O's, I do too. But I'm being reallistic here. It's only 1 game, but last year was the same problem. Gausman can't nibble to every batter. he has to command the baseball and throw strikes. I am not suggesting he throw batting practice, what I am saying is, if he is truly going to become a great starting pitcher, he can't have 100 pitches by the 6th inning every outing, which is what he has done so far in the majors. That was not a great outing as some of you have suggested. Do we want a number 1 starter or are you all content with a bunch of # 3 or 4 starters?

26 minutes ago, joeyc said:

Guys, these pitchers have to start going deeper into games. That's the bottom line. They have to get their pitch count down. The bullpen will be spent by July if these starters are only going to go 5 innings. if you can't see that, then i don't know how to help you. I get that you guys love the O's, I do too. But I'm being reallistic here. It's only 1 game, but last year was the same problem. Gausman can't nibble to every batter. he has to command the baseball and throw strikes. I am not suggesting he throw batting practice, what I am saying is, if he is truly going to become a great starting pitcher, he can't have 100 pitches by the 6th inning every outing, which is what he has done so far in the majors. That was not a great outing as some of you have suggested. Do we want a number 1 starter or are you all content with a bunch of # 3 or 4 starters?

Overreact to one game much?   It was the first game of the year, and his command obviously wasn't that sharp.   He's averaged 2.6 BB/9 in his career and walked 4 in 5.1 yesterday.    It was otherwise a really good outing and I'm excited to see what he'll accomplish this season. 

28 minutes ago, dan-O said:

If anyone actually watched him pitch on TV they would notice that his pitches had a sick amount of movement, his velocity was up, his slider was actually good for once, and he was getting squeezed. Had one tough inning. 

He looks great.

MLB changed the way they measure velocity. We should expect increases in the measurement of velocity across the board.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/about-all-these-velocity-spikes/

On 4/5/2017 at 7:43 AM, Frobby said:

Overreact to one game much?   It was the first game of the year, and his command obviously wasn't that sharp.   He's averaged 2.6 BB/9 in his career and walked 4 in 5.1 yesterday.    It was otherwise a really good outing and I'm excited to see what he'll accomplish this season. 

It's the same thing we've seen from him since he's been here. Overreact to 1 game, it's every game he's ever pitched. He constantly has 100 pitches by the 5th inning. Are you watching these games? He's a nibbler who has no command of his pitches.

1 minute ago, joeyc said:

It's the same thing we've seen from him since he's been here. Overreact to 1 game, it's every game he's ever pitched. He constantly has 100 pitches by the 5th inning. Are you watching these games? He's a nibbler who has no command of his pitches.

I guess you missed the second half of last season, when Gausman averaged 6.2 IP/start and posted a 3.10 ERA.   If you don't see a guy coming into his own, then we'll just have to agree to disagree and revisit this later in the season.   

On 4/4/2017 at 8:17 AM, Frobby said:

No, you saw the same pitcher I saw.    But I'd cut him some slack on Opening Day, when his command was just so-so.     

I'm not going to cut anyone some slack just because it was OD.  Same issue that's plagued him so far throughout his career.  On the positive side he didn't implode.

On 4/4/2017 at 9:12 AM, Bradysburns said:

Agreed 100% - great outing by KG. As others have said in this thread, he was obviously pumped to start opening day - who wouldn't be. I think some of the command issues came from him starting to over throw later in the game. He hit 98 on a 3-ball count and walked a guy. The fastball came nowhere close to the dish. But that was just him trying to throw the ball through the guy's bat. I think he's going to become our true ace this year. 

That might also spur Bundy's progress - I can see these two guys playing off each other, competing, etc., for years to come. 

That would be great. 

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not going to cut anyone some slack just because it was OD.  Same issue that's plagued him so far throughout his career.  On the positive side he didn't implode.

Limiting damage on the days you're not 100% on is half of the job of a successful starting pitcher.    I've been a pretty vocal critic of Gausman in his career, but to me he clearly turned a corner last year and I saw nothing in that first start to make me think he'll go back in the other direction.     His breaking ball was the best I've seen it and he used it really well.   He's going to be nearly unhittable when he's on.   Hopefully, tonight.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Limiting damage on the days you're not 100% on is half of the job of a successful starting pitcher.    I've been a pretty vocal critic of Gausman in his career, but to me he clearly turned a corner last year and I saw nothing in that first start to make me think he'll go back in the other direction.     His breaking ball was the best I've seen it and he used it really well.   He's going to be nearly unhittable when he's on.   Hopefully, tonight.  

No, Frobby - I think it's time to cut our losses with Gausman. He's clearly no good - a 5-inning hack with no control. It's over. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

You're right, limiting damage is part of it...a big part of it.  But to me it seems like he's always trying to limit damage and has an elevated pitch count by the middle innings.  And if he's going to be a true elite top of the rotation guy, he's gotta be able to work into the 6th and 7th, comfortably and efficiently. 

His pure stuff is ridiculous, there's no denying that.  Anxious to watch the game tonight, too.

o

14 OUTS: 4 Strikeouts, 3 Lineouts, 2 Groundouts, 2 Popouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Thrown Out Trying to Stretch a Single

K.J. GAUSMANo)o (vs. YANKEES, 4/07) )) [ 

IP:;)lll) 4.67

H:)))).  8 ) ll(1 Double, 7 Singles)

R:l)oll) 4

BB:o..ll

SO:l).ll 4

Pitches: l) 97 0(56 Strikes, )41 Balls)

2017 ERA: l)  5.40 0

2017 WHIP: l)  2.000 0

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .302 )) (13 for 43)

PITCHES BY INNING

18 0(81 lStrikes, o10 ..Balls)

18 0(10 lStrikes, ))81 )Balls)

11 0(71 lStrikes, )))41 )Balls)

25 l)(17 lStrikes, )))81 .Balls)

25 ))(14 lStrikes, .o11 ))Balls)  *)

* )Gausman recorded 2 outs before departing in the 5th inning. 

o

Archived