2018 DH/1B/OF

Bahama O's Fan

How do you think it will/should look next season?

I say you don't move Davis off of first. His scoops save a lot of throws. Jones will obviously be in center. Kim and Smith are FA's. Should we resign either? Do we go with Rickard and Mancini? Gentry the fourth guy? What about Trumbo? Leave him at DH?

Mullins seems too good to be true so far, but if he sustains the breakout, he probably earns his way into the mix.

If Pedro can clear the Oriole bar for OF defense, there's a good relationship there.

Just like Trumbo for 2016 and Smith for 2017, with two or more job openings, I look for Duquette to plug one early in the offseason so the club isn't over a barrel, and then wait out the market for the other one.

48 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Jones, Mancini, Mullins, Hays, Rickard

I like your optimism about Mullins and Hays but I see them in AAA next year like how Sisco is this year. Both will play in the AFL and come to ST next year. 

Next year we have Smith and Kim coming off the books. If we can replace them with cheap homegrown options, then that is how you keep some of our big name upcoming  FA's. 

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Jones, Mancini, Mullins, Hays, Rickard

1 hour ago, POR said:

The chance that Hays gets a significant number of at bats with the Orioles in 2018 is under 10%. 

Also, that's RH, RH, switch, RH, and RH batters.  Hays is the odd man out there; expect a lefty.

2 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Also, that's RH, RH, switch, RH, and RH batters.  Hays is the odd man out there; expect a lefty.

We'll see how things shake out over the next year, but Hays has a much higher upside than Rickard (and possibly Mullins) in about every area. 

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

We'll see how things shake out over the next year, but Hays has a much higher upside than Rickard (and possibly Mullins) in about every area. 

Sure - I hope he forces his way on the team like Mancini did.  That's only a good thing.

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Probably, but he needs experience.   If he gets to Bowie later this year, that would be awesome.

At this point it's been almost a year since Rickard's hot streak that inflated his overall numbers.  I'm fine with Rickard going to AAA and getting/staying healthy and earning his way back up here.  

Rickard is still a part of our future, but when you options that means you're likely going to get optioned on a team that has no flexibility when it comes to position players.  

Archived