Buck, Bullpen management and wins

ArtVanDelay

1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

I've said this before and got shouted down. If Buck knows something we don't, do something about it.

My whole point is it is early in the year and we have had a great start. If there was ever a time to be cautious it is now. The whole point of the 10 day DL is to make it more convenient.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had essentially an off day yesterday and we are playing our last guy in the bullpen in the eighth inning of a tie game.  I find it hard to believe that everyone else was physically unable to perform for one reason or another.  

This is another situation of Buck saving his best guys for a lead that's never gonna happen.  Similar to the Wild Card game last year. He was anticipating an extra inning game and wanted to save O'Day, Hart, maybe Brach for then. 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We don't know half of what Buck knows about the physical condition of his guys.    I trust him to make decisions in the long run best interests of his club.  

If Hart and O'Day are injured, there's no way DD would've sent Buck to KC with a 4 man bullpen.

And what about Hardy getting that AB in the 9th?  Is Davis hurt too?  Kim?

This was horrible managing.  Plain and simple.  No need for speculation.

16 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Rickard and Gentry hitting back-to-back, yeesh. I know KC has a big outfield, but the gaping hole in the lineup is just not worth it.

Rickard can hit southpaws.  But the Hardy, Gentry, Caleb (I know he has heated up) is nearly the equivalent of letting a pitcher hit in the lineup. 

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We don't know half of what Buck knows about the physical condition of his guys.    I trust him to make decisions in the long run best interests of his club.  

If that is the case, then there is a communication issue with DD. Whether it is Buck or DD, we need to have a better guy than Nuno in that situation. If O'Day and Hart are hurt, they need to make a move.

I don't have a problem not pitching O'Day or Hart. You can't just pitch those guys in every close game. My issue is Nuno being called up in the first place. Why not give Jimmy Yacabonis or Richard Rodriguez a shot or better yet just let Logan Verrett stay up here so they don't have to call up a pitcher like Nuno?

4 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

If Hart and O'Day are injured, there's no way DD would've sent Buck to KC with a 4 man bullpen.

And what about Hardy getting that AB in the 9th?  Is Davis hurt too?  Kim?

This was horrible managing.  Plain and simple.  No need for speculation.

Has Buck ever pinch hit for Hardy?  Buck really likes his vets.  He rarely gives them days off and doesn't pinch hit them under most circumstances.  He's always managed that way. 

1 minute ago, TINSTAAPP said:

I don't have a problem not pitching O'Day or Hart. You can't just pitch those guys in every close game. My issue is Nuno being called up in the first place. Why not give Jimmy Yacabonis or Richard Rodriguez a shot or better yet just let Logan Verrett stay up here so they don't have to call up a pitcher like Nuno?

Why is Hart on the team if he doesn't pitch there?

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

My whole point is it is early in the year and we have had a great start. If there was ever a time to be cautious it is now. The whole point of the 10 day DL is to make it more convenient.

O'Day is already halfway to a 10 day DL stay.  There is no excuse to not use him tomorrow if the game is close.  It's not like the O's don't have other guys they can plug in if O'Day or Hart need a DL stay, now would be a good time.

2 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Hart has thrown 10 pitches over 6 days.  How do you not use him there?

Just now, eddie83 said:

Why is Hart on the team if he doesn't pitch there?

He's only the situational left-handed reliever on the roster and there's going to be a ton of games where the Orioles need him in high leverage situations to get out a left-handed hitter. Hart's already on pace to pitch in 78 games this year. I can understand why Buck wants to pick and choose his spots for when to use Hart. The construction of the roster is the main problem right now. They need a seven man bullpen and they have to start giving some of these pitchers like Verrett or Ynoa or Bleier an extended look instead of shipping them out after every relief appearance.

Archived