Buck, Bullpen management and wins

ArtVanDelay

6 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Funny no one but me wants to ask DD why a 33 you middle reliever was gifted with a 4 year extension.

Not Buck's fault that he has a washed up reliever clogging a roster spot and banking 36 million dollars to boot.

31 whopping innings last year

A 5+ ERA this year and we are stuck paying him for his age 35 and age 36 seasons, although I'm betting he'll be DFA'd sometime next year.

And he got similar money/years as Andrew Miller got the prior offseason.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, thezeroes said:

So we DL Hart, O'Day and bring up ??? Nuno, Wright, Wilson, Creighton, or Aquino and they do what Nuno did I wonder what type of thread this would have led to????  Oh, that is correct, we did use Nuno so I guess I have my answer. 

After every loss thase threads should be merged into a thread titled " I Know More Than Buck and Dan".  That way I can skip wasting time reading them.

I'd respond but you won't hear me up there on your high horse. 

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

As I said, we don't know half of what's going on.    I'm not going to speculate on what factors are in play.

Me either. Buck doesn't need grilled by the press. We won't change him. The good news? He's only signed through next season.

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

And he got similar money/years as Andrew Miller got the prior offseason.

True.  Though Miller reported turned down 40 to play in Texas. I suppose NY was where he wanted to be. To my knowledge, the Orioles never bid on him. 

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

As I said, we don't know half of what's going on.    I'm not going to speculate on what factors are in play.

I know Buck is using guys who arguably shouldn't even be on the team like Nuno in a pressure situation, when guys like Oday and Hart sit. That alone leads to speculations. If they are hurt, they need to be on the DL and fresh arms brought in. If Not, then Buck has some explaining to do. I don't claim to know what's going on. I'll be honest, I don't have any clue what buck is thinking at times. 

4 hours ago, thezeroes said:

So we DL Hart, O'Day and bring up ??? Nuno, Wright, Wilson, Creighton, or Aquino and they do what Nuno did I wonder what type of thread this would have led to????  Oh, that is correct, we did use Nuno so I guess I have my answer. 

After every loss thase threads should be merged into a thread titled " I Know More Than Buck and Dan".  That way I can skip wasting time reading them.

It's about a possible injured pitcher(s)taking up spots in an already overused bullpen. If they are injured, thwy need to be DL so guys who cant actually physically able to pitch can come up.

Obviously, you didn't take the time to read anything. The point many are making is that there's no excuse to have a short pen, especially after an off day. If there's injuries, they need addressed.

4 hours ago, thezeroes said:

So a good pitcher who can't pitch because they arent available should be kept on the roster? No reasonable fan expects a call up fo be as good.  

If you are ok with a 3.5 man pen last night then good for you. 

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

It's about a possible injured pitcher(s)taking up spots in an already overused bullpen. If they are injured, thwy need to be DL so guys who cant actually physically able to pitch can come up.

Obviously, you didn't take the time to read anything. The point many are making is that there's no excuse to have a short pen, especially after an off day. If there's injuries, they need addressed.

I think by rule today is the last day that O'Day can be back dated to the 8th. Once again a 10 day DL move and he misses only 5 more games. What is 5 more games in mid May when you are 10 games over .500? 

10 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Funny no one but me wants to ask DD why a 33 you middle reliever was gifted with a 4 year extension.

Not Buck's fault that he has a washed up reliever clogging a roster spot and banking 36 million dollars to boot.

31 whopping innings last year

A 5+ ERA this year and we are stuck paying him for his age 35 and age 36 seasons, although I'm betting he'll be DFA'd sometime next year.

Brady got involved in the negotiations with O'Day. I mean Dan is the GM but who knows what influence ownership played here. 

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think by rule today is the last day that O'Day can be back dated to the 8th. Once again a 10 day DL move and he misses only 5 more games. What is 5 more games in mid May when you are 10 games over .500? 

I agree. If he can't be used anyhow for a day or two, what's 5. This team needs a fresh arm or two anyhow. And if Hart isn't injured, no reason for Nuno to be facing three LH. 

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

This is the problem when the team and sports network are owned by the same guy. That guy really has never liked being criticized.

The print media apparently asked him some questions that led to Buck saying he had a short pen. Why can't Hunter ask him? The club loses credibility. Perhaps they told Jim and Gary not to do that, who knows?

If O'Day and Hart are just nursing injuries or a spring cold, fine, they don't need to go on DL, hopefully we get them back tomorrow or the next day. In the meantime, get rid of Gentry so we have an extra arm.

Since we now know they weren't available,  then it's either Nuno or whoever else we would have brought up (Bleier? Wilson?), so then it's six of one, half dozen of the other. I guess it may have been Nuno even if we had someone else up. 

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I agree. If he can't be used anyhow for a day or two, what's 5. This team needs a fresh arm or two anyhow. And if Hart isn't injured, no reason for Nuno to be facing three LH. 

Hart hasn't even pitched much lately. I mean save Nuno for extra innings. Our pen is in big trouble right now if all these guys aren't available.

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The print media apparently asked him some questions that lead to Buck saying he had a short bench. Why can't Hunter ask him? The club loses credibility. Perhaps they told Jim and Gary not to do that, who knows?

Can't question any move Buck makes. It's sacrilegious. 

Archived