Extend Schoop now or trade him

FanSince88

I keep seeing people say that Schoop should be untouchable.  But he's an unrestricted free agent after the 2020 season.  Will we be a contending team any time before 2021?  2020 is maybe a possibility -- next year is unlikely, and 2019 is extremely unlikely.  

Hence, I see two options here -- extend Schoop past 2020 to keep him well beyond that as part of our "core," or trade him now while his value is high.  As we slip further and further out of contention in 2017, it becomes increasingly imperative to take one of these two paths.  

The only exception would be is if the front office is hell bent on throwing whatever insane money that they can to re-sign Manny after 2018.  I think that's very foolish, but if they do that then it's probably best to stand pat on Schoop.  

2 minutes ago, 99ct said:

I don't really see the logic of trading a young star under 3 more years of our control. Wait til the last year to make a call, unless the return is too good to turn down 

Two more seasons after this one.

The idea is simple, if he isn't going to be around at the end of the rebuild better to trade him at the start of it.

At first I thought we should on to Schoop, but you have to weigh how bad the farm system is relative to how long it'll take for it to actually make the major league roster win. And I just don't see it happening for quite some time. So maybe trade everybody at this point.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Two more seasons after this one.

The idea is simple, if he isn't going to be around at the end of the rebuild better to trade him at the start of it.

Hang on - 2018, 19, and 20 makes three more, no? 

In any event, I think we could be competing again by 18-19, depending on what moves we make with respect to the rotation. It's my opinion that players can usually fetch a nice premium in the last year, by flipping to a desperate contender. Obviously that's not always true - moreover, if you have reason to suspect that a player is overachieving, then of course you should trade them ASAP. 

But with respect to Schoop, I just think we could reload in time to make him useful to us. Of course of there's a killer deal available, I'm always all about making killer deals :)

3 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

I keep seeing people say that Schoop should be untouchable.  But he's an unrestricted free agent after the 2020 season.  Will we be a contending team any time before 2021?  2020 is maybe a possibility -- next year is unlikely, and 2019 is extremely unlikely.  

Actually, it's sooner than that-- Schoop is a free agent after the 2019 season.

On 6/24/2017 at 0:29 PM, FanSince88 said:

I keep seeing people say that Schoop should be untouchable.  But he's an unrestricted free agent after the 2020 season.  

He's a free agent after the 2019 season.    

Edit -- I see I was beaten to the punch.   

On 6/24/2017 at 11:51 AM, mdbdotcom said:

The people who currently have the authority to negotiate an extension with him will not be here in 2021, so I think there is little likelihood of him being extended. Maybe after the new regime takes over for the 2019 season.

No reason whatsoever why Duquette couldn't negotiate a Schoop extension.  The job is still his.  That being said and looking at the challenges facing the O's going forward, preventing a lame duck FO for 2018 ought to be a top priority nonetheless.

On 6/24/2017 at 0:51 PM, mdbdotcom said:

The people who currently have the authority to negotiate an extension with him will not be here in 2021, so I think there is little likelihood of him being extended. Maybe after the new regime takes over for the 2019 season.

This is the main issue. Any CEO or owner should have enough sense to know that he has to extend the GM or get a new guy in to direct a path forward. Obviously, DD is not going to look forward to 2019. As it stands now he is hoping to be able to put on his resume that his team had the most wins in all of MLB in his tenure. Quite frankly, none of us would do anything different.

Archived