Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Sure. Duquette calls the shots on these deals. Are you serious? 

Of course I'm serious.  Dan is out after next year.  You think he wants to trade players that could contribute to the 2018 team for prospects another GM will get to use?

Just now, spiritof66 said:

Will you know it was his decision?  If so, how will you know that?

Too many commodities and if he's not able to move someone it either says he's incapable of making talent for prospect trade or ownership won't let him which means he's probably gone after the season.

Just now, SteveA said:

We wouldn't be walking away with nothing.   We'd still have Britton and Brach and could trade them in the offseason.

This is accurate. While I will likewise be a bit disappointed if nothing happens today, the Orioles weren't in a position where they necessarily had to make a move.

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's fine to set the bar high, but you have to be willing to negotiate based on the market. This team was not in a position to walk away with nothing. 

I couldn't disagree more. My biggest fear was/is that they trade Britton just to trade him. I want a good/great package or keep him. try to re-establish for the off season.

Just now, FlipTheBird said:

This is accurate. While I will likewise be a bit disappointed if nothing happens today, the Orioles weren't in a position where they necessarily had to make a move.

We don't even know if he will be allowed to trade pieces like Britton in the offseason.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

We wouldn't be walking away with nothing.   We'd still have Britton and Brach and could trade them in the offseason.

And this is what is known as leverage. Don't just give these guys away.  Like I said, with Britton closing, Brach goes back to pitching 79 IP a season.  We gain like 4 WAR right there.  

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

"Art of the Deal" says you have to be prepared to walk away at all times.  

No politics.  Just quoting an author.  

So does my drunken Uncle when he sings 'The Gambler' at karaoke so I'm taking that advise with a grain of salt...

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

And this is what is known as leverage. Don't just give these guys away.  Like I said, with Britton closing, Brach goes back to pitching 79 IP a season.  We gain like 4 WAR right there.  

Or ownership changes his mind and Britton is off the market.

Yah!

Archived