The Nick Markakis 2,000th hit countdown thread

Frobby

I really want Hays to be the guy, but he hasn’t earned it yet.   Struggled last September, struggled this spring, is off to a slow start at Bowie and hasn’t played AAA.    He needs more time.  

As to Trumbo for Markakis, there’s no way Atlanta would do that.   They have great OF prospects in the minors, no DH in the NL, and a great 1B.    Trumbo makes no sense at all for them.   Markakis is a respected leader on that team, as he was here.    And I don’t think he and Trumbo are anything close to a “wash” defensively.    Markakis is slow but as fundamentally sound as they come in the OF, and not afraid of making plays near the wall.

31 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Fair enough.

So it seems like you actually agree with me about the Nick vs Trumbo thing and were just trolling.  Thanks.......wish we could've figured that out a bit earlier on tho.

No trolling.

Trading for Nick right now would be buying high.

The expression buy high sell low is an obvious riff off the expression buy low sell high.  It is also something the O's tend to do.

It had nothing to do with trading Trumbo.  I've never suggested that Trumbo had much value.

But the real reason I posted on this thread is that I think Nick is a better RF than almost anyone we are likely to start there this year..............certainly for the foreseeable future.   The Braves must have some needs.........just trying to think outside the box a little.

Just now, Aglets said:

But the real reason I posted on this thread is that I think Nick is a better RF than almost anyone we are likely to start there this year..............certainly for the foreseeable future.   The Braves must have some needs.........just trying to think outside the box a little.

Outside the box?

Folks have been thinking outside that box multiple times each season since Nick signed with the Braves. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Outside the box?

Folks have been thinking outside that box multiple times each season since Nick signed with the Braves. 

And as long as our current RF options are sucking hardcore I promise to keep thinking outside it!   :)

Nick Markakis so far:    .325/.413/.525  .938

O's Right Fielders:     .167/.222/.310   .532

I'm sure that gap will narrow quite a bit just naturally, but we'll see by how much.   

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nick is climbing slowly up the hit leaderboard, up from 257 to 247 from the beginning of the year.   He’s in a tightly-packed part of the list, and conceivably could be up to 180th or so by the end of this year if he stays healthy.    Next five to pass: Carney Lansford, Chuck Klein, Scott Rolen, George Burns and Matt Holliday.

Update:

Nick has come down to Earth a bit and his line is more in line with what you might expect:

.292/.373/.417   (.790)

Amazingly enough,  our team RF numbers have fallen even further!  We were hitting a combined .532 in RF.......we're now down to:

.171/.216/271  (.488)

Seems like this shouldn't be possible.  Isn't Seth Smith still available or something?

• 2 weeks later...

Nick’s having a strong season so far: .302/.405/.476, 4 HR 18 RBI in 27 games through the end of April, worth 1.6 rWAR.  He also has 19 walks to 11 strikeouts.

He’s now tied for 240th in career hits.   In his next 10 hits he’ll pass Tim Wallach, Harmon Killebrew, Cesar Cedeno, Alvin Dark, Hal McRae, Harvey Kuehnn and Gary Carter.

• Upvote 2

Good bump.   Really happy for Nick, he was one of my favorite O's for a long time.  Wish him nothing but the best.........and I guess I can't help but wish too that he was manning RF for us instead........................

Speaking of which............

You guys are NEVER going to believe this.   If you thought that our team OPS by Right Fielders would bottom out at .488.........I'm surprised to inform you that you would still be wrong!

We've fallen even further since then!  

Through the first 28 games of the season the Right Fielders for the Baltimore Orioles are now hitting a combined .472.

In a way......it's almost impressive.  Can it possibly sink even further?   Stay tuned............

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

Good bump.   Really happy for Nick, he was one of my favorite O's for a long time.  Wish him nothing but the best.........and I guess I can't help but wish too that he was manning RF for us instead........................

While on an intellectual level I was OK with the Orioles’ decision not to give Nick that fourth year, as a fan I rued his departure.    In hindsight, we have done worse than Nick in RF all four years, per Wins Above Average (which is broken down by team by position in BB-ref):

2015: O’s -1.8, Nick -0.3

2016: O’s -1.4, Nick -0.3

2017: O’s -2.0, Nick -1.4

2018: O’s -0.5, Nick +1.2

WAA is slightly different from WAR, and compares to average major league performance at a position, rather than to a replacement level player.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

While on an intellectual level I was OK with the Orioles’ decision not to give Nick that fourth year, as a fan I rued his departure.    In hindsight, we have done worse than Nick in RF all four years, per Wins Above Average (which is broken down by team by position in BB-ref):

2015: O’s -1.8, Nick -0.3

2016: O’s -1.4, Nick -0.3

2017: O’s -2.0, Nick -1.4

2018: O’s -0.5, Nick +1.2

WAA is slightly different from WAR, and compares to average major league performance at a position, rather than to a replacement level player.

I did not agree with the move then and Duquette would not know a right fielder if it bit him in the you know where.   LOL.    It has been a black hole for the Os...