New details emerging about the massive fail at the Trade Deadline

Sir_Loin

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Who cares if Verdugo was the key piece of an offer? He's not anything that would make a big impact on our team.

Well I would rather have Buehler if it came down to who I would have liked to been the centerpiece had an actual trade happened. After all, the O's need pitching more than outfielders. But the guy is 21, can hit, has some pop, a bit of speed and can field his position with an amazing arm from what I gather. I just see those 2 as the only acceptable centerpieces of a trade with the Dodgers for Britton.

3 hours ago, weams said:

You will never hear the real deals or the real offers. 

Well, you might. The problem us that we'll probably never know what's real and what isn't.

I can't overstate how much a few nights of good pitching and winning baseball have diminished my interest in this stuff. I'm back to watching and thinking about the real game on the field. I'm hoping to forget about this stuff until the Orioles' season is over, which I hope is in early November.

But I do still wonder who might be desperate for a good-hitting catcher . . .

We'll see what it sounds like, but it isn't unreasonable to think that Angelos opted against a deal that DD brought to him. It's the owner's discretion to choose whether or not to maximize the chance to contend in a given year by taking on salary or restricting white flag-type trades.

Houston's owner and GM are trying to save face after Dallas Keuchel, representing at least some if not most of his teammates, called out the front office for not making enough moves to better the team at the deadline.  Of course you can blame it on the medicals- the Orioles harm themselves with this all of the time, so we can use it as an excuse.  The Orioles going dark?  When you have an owner who micromanages and needs to approve everything, of course you can use this too.  

Personally, I see the window to compete in 2018, and I would not have traded Britton unless the value was there, and it would have landed us an impact starting pitching prospect who is ready to contribute.  We have plenty of bats coming up who will play roles next year or in 2019 when changes are bound to happen, but we need starting pitching.  Packages of Calhoun, Veldugo, etc would not have done it. 

If the Dodgers offered Buehler or Alvarez for Britton?  Done. If the Astros offered Whitley, I am there with the trade.  I don't even think De La Cruz from the Cubs compares to those three above, so I would not have negotiated with the Cubs

8 minutes ago, Sir_Loin said:

The Orioles brass went "dark"... 

Credit for breaking this piece before others. 

That said, taken in its entirety, I'm not really upset. 

The article says the Cubs considered Britton and Wilson to be equals - which tells us that the return would be low. 

The Astros had somewhere between 2 and 7 "untouchables." In other words, they weren't going all-in, either. Moreover, the medical concerns coild be legit, though I dont know their system well enough to speculate on the identities. 

As for the Dodgers, I'm not really seeing any suggestion that they had a top package ready, either. The article could be read to say that their Darvish package was first dangled for Britton, I guess. 

Lastly, the O's "went dark" ... "for a few hours" Presumably while evaluating the substitute prospects. 

This is a cool article for peeling back the veil, but not enough to get me outraged. I think the anti-DD narrative is being sold a bit too hard at the moment.

Archived