New details emerging about the massive fail at the Trade Deadline

Sir_Loin

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

You folks can all cry over spilled milk. The fact is WE DONT KNOW WHAT WAS OFFERED and we stood pat. Im looking forward now. We can always move Britton in the off season or at the deadline next year, Meantime, I think the two Duquette moves look pretty good right now.This team is playing well.

The last 5 games yes. Get back to me in a week.

3 hours ago, 99ct said:

Credit for breaking this piece before others. 

That said, taken in its entirety, I'm not really upset. 

The article says the Cubs considered Britton and Wilson to be equals - which tells us that the return would be low. 

The Astros had somewhere between 2 and 7 "untouchables." In other words, they weren't going all-in, either. Moreover, the medical concerns coild be legit, though I dont know their system well enough to speculate on the identities. 

As for the Dodgers, I'm not really seeing any suggestion that they had a top package ready, either. The article could be read to say that their Darvish package was first dangled for Britton, I guess. 

Lastly, the O's "went dark" ... "for a few hours" Presumably while evaluating the substitute prospects. 

This is a cool article for peeling back the veil, but not enough to get me outraged. I think the anti-DD narrative is being sold a bit too hard at the moment.

First, this article is mainly information that was already known and regurgitated. The part about the Os notifying that Britton was no longer available one hour before came from the LA Times. The interview with the Astros owner was on tv. The rest was a reporter filling in the holes and his anti Os/Angelos spin.

Second, if indeed the Astros were calling 7 guys off limits I can't see a way that a 3-4 player trade would still happen.

The Orioles know hesitation to deal is known lure. I don't believe the Orioles were ever selling. Sadly the Os might squeak out the 2nd wild card which would be good for the fans but reensure to the old geezer that he knows more about baseball than his baseball people

3 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Rosenthal will be eating his words come October anyways

What words will he be eating, exactly?    This is a pretty factual article and he doesn't really express an opinion on whether the O's should have traded Britton, he just reports how the negotiations proceeded.    It's a good piece of journalism.     

6 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Well, you might. The problem us that we'll probably never know what's real and what isn't.

I can't overstate how much a few nights of good pitching and winning baseball have diminished my interest in this stuff. I'm back to watching and thinking about the real game on the field. I'm hoping to forget about this stuff until the Orioles' season is over, which I hope is in early November.

But I do still wonder who might be desperate for a good-hitting catcher . . .

You stated it better. Thanks. 

5 hours ago, PHRESH said:

I'd like to know what Roll Tide thinks of this information and Sir_Loin's tease of it ?

I have no doubt that the OP knew that Ken was working on an article. I for one don't feel any worse, or better about what transpired. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

First, this article is mainly information that was already known and regurgitated. The part about the Os notifying that Britton was no longer available one hour before came from the LA Times. The interview with the Astros owner was on tv. The rest was a reporter filling in the holes and his anti Os/Angelos spin.

Second, if indeed the Astros were calling 7 guys off limits I can't see a way that a 3-4 player trade would still happen.

The Orioles know hesitation to deal is known lure. I don't believe the Orioles were ever selling. Sadly the Os might squeak out the 2nd wild card which would be good for the fans but reensure to the old geezer that he knows more about baseball than his baseball people

I don't think we were selling either. ☹️

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

OTOH, if they want, the O's can trade Britton in the off-season and possibly get as much or more than the Astros offered.

I think this needs to be the strategy even if the O's see themselves competing in 2018.  Redistribution of assets, trade him for MLB ready pitching prospects or just the best package available and then use our prospects to go get a controllable rotation arm. 

2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I think this needs to be the strategy even if the O's see themselves competing in 2018.  Redistribution of assets, trade him for MLB ready pitching prospects or just the best package available and then use our prospects to go get a controllable rotation arm. 

Exactly what I've been saying.  Otherwise it'll be real difficult to sign three viable starting pitchers.

I'm curious as to who the mystery reliever is. I keep trying in my mind  to figure it out. 

Overall it seems to me to be an organized piece that wraps the story together. We knew Angelos didn't like the medicals on some players. Of course we don't know who those players are. The Cubs know the Orioles all too well and weren't going to get caught. 

At the end of the day it seems to me that the team viewed Briton as someone they were willing to deal at their value only. Britton is a piece they didn't have to deal. They were simply not going to trade him for minor league prospects they didn't believe were high end. 

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I'm curious as to who the mystery reliever is. I keep trying in my mind  to figure it out. 

Overall it seems to me to be an organized piece that wraps the story together. We knew Angelos didn't like the medicals on some players. Of course we don't know who those players are. The Cubs know the Orioles all too well and weren't going to get caught. 

At the end of the day it seems to me that the team viewed Briton as someone they were willing to deal at their value only. Britton is a piece they didn't have to deal. They were simply not going to trade him for minor league prospects they didn't believe were high end. 

Rondon? Tigers?

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I did not see a massive fail in this article. Many people feel the Orioles strategy was a massive fail without this article. 

Just now, weams said:

Rondon? Tigers?

Who knows. They dealt Wilson so why not deal him also. 

At the end of the day the national media thinks the Orioles are headed into irrelevancy and should have dealt Britton no matter what for the best deal. The Orioles believe they can win next year and since Britton is under team control were only going to do so for a strong deal. 

It is really more about strategy than the actual deals they turned down. It doesn't sound like anyone offered anything super strong but still a quality package that would have improved the minor leagues.  

Archived