Mason McCoy 2017-2019

Luke-OH

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Huge OBP plays.  I dont know how his defense is like but if he can play decent Shortstop he can stick.

Let’s just say that at the present time, the bar for how much offense we need at SS to improve our team is as low as it can possibly be.

• 5 weeks later...

This guy doesn't seem to have much in the way of power and his OBP is no longer "huge" but here we are after 84 games in Bowie (387 PA) and he is hitting a perfectly respectable .282/.343/.362.

Really curious to see what he would do in AAA but i'm guessing that will have to wait until 2020 now.

15 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I loved the story earlier this year as much as anyone, but when you look at the full AA stats, it's hard to get that excited over a AA short stop with average defense and a .705 OPS over 387 PAs.

Eh - in an extreme pitcher's league such as the Eastern League this year that's not bad at all.

However, it would certainly be a lot more encouraging if he was 21 and not 24. 

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Eh - in an extreme pitcher's league such as the Eastern League this year that's not bad at all.

However, it would certainly be a lot more encouraging if he was 21 and not 24. 

I get that it's a pitcher's league, but it's AA, not the majors, and it's a .705 OPS, not .805. 

He's not projecting as a starting SS for a good team. Maybe a bench guy is my best guess. That's not terrible. It's certainly better than what was expected last year, but tempered enthusiasm is probably warranted.

16 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I get that it's a pitcher's league, but it's AA, not the majors, and it's a .705 OPS, not .805. 

He's not projecting as a starting SS for a good team. Maybe a bench guy is my best guess. That's not terrible. It's certainly better than what was expected last year, but tempered enthusiasm is probably warranted.

Also, he’s been trending down for quite some time now.  

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

How about as a starter for the Orioles?