Gary Thorne must go.

bigbird

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't it possible that Thorne is under some kind of subtle pressure to hype up the Red Sox? I mean, the organization has been shamelessly catering to Boston fans in every other way. Lot's of Red Sox fans watch MASN, no doubt - The same ones who come to Camden Yards to buy their favorite Red Sox jerseys and get O's fans kicked out of their own park.

Except, as I tirelessly point out every time this happens, he does it for every team we play. Some peoples ears are just more sensitive when we play the Red Sox and Yankees.

There was a classic moment maybe 2 weeks ago when a line drive was hit just foul, and Gary Thorne was trying so hard to make an argument that the ball could have been called fair because it "went over the bag." Thankfully, Palmer had to remind him that the ball has to hit the ground before 1st/3rd base in order for the "over the bag" fair/foul call comes into effect. I was literally stunned (Palmer politely sounded stunned too) when Thorne tried to say a ball that was hit something like 120 or so feet in the air that landed foul could have been fair because the ball was over the bag.

He needs to drive down to DC and concentrate solely on the Capitals.

Whenever the O's TV announcers start to rub me the wrong way (and this happens frequently), I remind myself that at least XXX (fill in the blank) is better than listening to Michael Reghi. That usually does the trick.

Incidentally, it's Thorne's apparent lack of knowledge (baseball and otherwise) that bothers me, not so much his announcing style. But yes, he's better than Reghi.

Whenever the O's TV announcers start to rub me the wrong way (and this happens frequently), I remind myself that at least XXX (fill in the blank) is better than listening to Michael Reghi. That usually does the trick.

"TRACK, WALL, SEE... YOU... LATER, GRAND SLAM OPENING DAY BOMB, TONY BATISTA"

Except, as I tirelessly point out every time this happens, he does it for every team we play. Some peoples ears are just more sensitive when we play the Red Sox and Yankees.

Possibly, but that doesn't doesn't address my question of whether the organization wants him to cater to fans of our opponents, which seems to be part of the Orioles marketing strategy.

In my imagination, someone comes into the Fenway Park press box rolling a chocolate chip cookie the size of a wagon wheel.

At first Gary just catches a glint of it in his glasses. Then he turns and sees it, noticing other broadcasters and writers eyeing it up as well, suddenly a late inning Orioles rally is no longer so important.

Possibly, but that doesn't doesn't address my question of whether the organization wants him to cater to fans of our opponents, which seems to be part of the Orioles marketing strategy.

I think you're making something out of nothing.

I bet they just want him to call the ballgame, that's all.

The O's have a long tradition of good announcers who don't act like homers. Nothing new about it.

Maybe we should just hire John Madden and Dick Vitale to call our gmes? While we're at it lets trade Amber for Vanna White. :rolleyes:

Thorne gets on my nerves on occasion, but come on, will anybody really make us happy all the time?

Well, he is from Maine. He has great pipes, I have to keep adjusting the volume on my TV when he gets too loud. :)

H said last night he's a Celtics fan...and now I learn he's from Maine...he's a big time Red Sox fan, you can tell during Red Sox/Oriole Broadcasts. Inside he''s rooting like heck for the Sux and it does come out with the way he talks more about the Red Sox than the O's.

Get rid of this guy, we don't need a Red Sox fan announcing for us.

Oh for crying out loud...

He's a professional broadcaster. You're hearing things. He knows who signs his paychecks. He shows excitement for a lot of teams we play against, which I think is a holdover from his national broadcasting.

Are we going to start ragging on Mark Viviano for coming from St Louis and growing up a Cards fan (as is my understanding)?

Archived