Early 2018 predictions/expectations

billw76

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think thats something around the league, we just know more about "our" guys.

Injuries are probably a leading cause of why 7 out of 10 pitching prospects fail.

We had a terrible run with our top pitchers in the early 2000’s — guys like Rich Stahl, Matt Riley, Beau Hale, Chris Smith and Adam Loewen.    I don’t think it’s been as bad the last 10 years, though you can certainly point to plenty of guys who went under the knife.    

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Frobby said:

We had a terrible run with our top pitchers in the early 2000’s — guys like Rich Stahl, Matt Riley, Beau Hale, Chris Smith and Adam Loewen.    I don’t think it’s been as bad the last 10 years, though you can certainly point to plenty of guys who went under the knife.    

dont forget Hobgood, who had rotor cuff surgery.

I don't follow other teams, but I suspect that other teams are suffering too?

18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

dont forget Hobgood, who had rotor cuff surgery.

I don't follow other teams, but I suspect that other teams are suffering too?

No reason to think we’re out of the normal range.   I read an article saying that 131 major league pitchers had TJ surgery from 2011-15.    That’s close to one a year per team, and that’s just major league pitchers and one kind of surgery.   I’ve seen a chart from 2012 that had the O’s in a five-way tie for 15th in total TJ surgeries (majors and minors) at that time.    Again, that doesn’t get into shoulder surgery or other surgeries.    It’s an occupational hazard.  

Archived