File and Trial Arbitrations?

weams

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, fearthenoodle said:

Orioles and Manny agreed at $16MM, $1.3MM below the MLBTR projection.

Here's what I don't get.    Manny has been a soft touch in arbitration all three years he's been eligible.    We know his agent actually initiated a long-term contract discussion two years ago.    Is it really that likely that he asked for the moon and the stars?    Or did the team just decide they couldn't afford Manny at anything in the same universe as what he's worth?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Another double for Hays tonight, 104 mph.  I believe that’s 7 batted balls of 102+ mph in the last 3 games.   He’s hitting the ball with authority.    In the small accomplishments category, he got his OPS over .600 tonight, after exceeding the .200 BA threshold yesterday.  Not yet respectable, but creeping towards it at a decent rate of speed.  He has a .926 OPS in 15 games/44 PA since returning from the IL on May 15.  
    • Maybe, he went 4.1 innings with 1ER and 9 K's against us this year.
    • excluding last year's draft Elias had only drafted 7 pitchers through the first 10 rounds excluding McLean. Close to 50 picks with less than 15% being pitchers, they deserve more leash on pitching because   1. I remember a rates and barrels podcast with Eno interviewing a Rangers front office guy. One part of the convo was centered around how much easier it is to overhaul hitting development, because there is far less personalization involved. bat speed is bat speed and swing decisions are swing decisions,  easier to develop an org philosophy. looks like they've obviously done that,  the results speak for themselves, so they can move onto pitching,  and it seems pretty clear they're tinkering and trying things out with the 2023 class to see how to infuse pitching customization for individual pitchers- the harder step in turning around a dysfunctional development system. 2. I think about a Kyle Boddy tweet frequently where, I'm paraphrasing, each pitcher has a skill set that can play at the major league level,  you just have to crush the development for each pitcher. You can be bad until you aren't as a pitcher, especially when you're trying to find the perfect mix of pitches that compliments your arm slot, fastball shape, athleticism,  etc. Guys with good shape metrics just have a head start in finding the ideal pitch mix, so I don't really have an issue preselecting for those characteristics, as it'll just make crushing the development easier.  Pitch level data for Os minor leaguers would be fun, sadly we don't have it, as it would be the clearest way to determine what tweaks are working throughout the year that have staying power. Id say the positive starts for Baumeister Forret and Young ready to pop top 100 lists is an encouraging sign.
    • I haven't noticed Zimmerman in the Norfolk box scores lately. I wonder if he's out. He would be a logical solution for one game.
    • I appreciate the article, and I wonder if Mike has a special fondness for “fixing” guys: finding a guy who’s terrible but has an elite spin rate, and turning him into a productive player? I read “Astroball,” which covers Elias’ time with Houston, a couple years ago, but I don’t recall what was the change in draft philosophy, beyond no longer focusing on body type. I wonder if Mike and Sig have created their own checklist for draft picks and it’s not working as well as we’d like. Yes we’ve had some success, but much of our potential is clogging up AAA waiting to be utilized in some way, and we have no pitching. Is Baumler even a prospect anymore? I hope Mike and Sig can adjust as necessary, because we aren’t going to be picking below 20 for the foreseeable future.
    • Didn't we blast Kikuchi last year?
    • It is nice to have a laugher.   You know what would be nicer?  For the O's win, Yankees Lose thread to get bumped.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now