Buck Showalter seems agitated....

foxfield

I don't know, maybe it is the uncertainty that we, or I, have as a fan.  But Buck seems different.  His comments are murky and philosophical as ever, but there seems to be an edge to them and I am reading this as an expression of dissatisfaction with multiple phases of the current Oriole make up.  Below are just a couple of tidbits from items read this week along with my thoughts on said comments.  What say you?

Jan 20, 2018, Roch had this to say regarding Moustakas:  

I’ve written that the Orioles discussed free agent third baseman Mike Moustakas, in case his market led to a reduction in years and dollars, but they don’t seem committed to pursuing him.

“But you could lose your draft pick. Would you do that?” Showalter said Thursday night on 105.7 The Fan.

Nothing major here except the juxtaposition of Roch making repeat of his "Orioles discussed..."  Showalter seemingly questioning it openly.  Typical Buck might have said, we are doing everything we can to improve our team and we will be ready to roll.

Jan 22, 2018 Rock had these notes from Buck in discussing defense and keeping Santander 44 days:  “We weren’t as good as we’ve been in the past and I’ve talked to Dan (Duquette). I think we’ve gotten away from that. Defensively, we took a step back and it’s going to be a real point of emphasis physically and if you want to call it spiritually or whatever. We’re going to make sure we understand that’s something we have got to get back to and especially in some areas where we’re not as good as we have been. Especially with a pitching staff that doesn’t strike out a lot of people. Believe me, if they can’t defend ...We’re talking about Santander, he’s capable of it. He’s not bad. I just want to get a real feel for what we can count on, because you don’t carry Rule 5 guys if they don’t play in the American League East. They’re going to be on the field.”

In the same piece, in reference to Hays:  Roch notes that Hays isn’t likely to be the everyday right fielder breaking camp because he bats from the right side and he’s played only 20 games above Double-A. His time is coming, though.  Showalter’s opinion of Hays defensively?

A little bit of a riverboat gambler,” he said. “It’s not particular fluid and smooth, but he’s aggressive, he’s not afraid to dive, he’s going to throw well. But I think sometimes more is not always better and he’s trying to impress.  “I think when his clock slows down a little bit, if it will, he will be a little better. But he was running on all cylinders when he came up last year and he should be. I understand that. But also, I’ve got a feeling that’s just him. I don’t think you’re going to see him really back off a lot. But he’s going to need to learn how to live to fight another day every once in a while.”

So, I don't disagree with anything above, but the way Buck speaks here is not the way he speaks about his guys, and pointedly it corners Santander and Hays as guys he thinks are not helpful, for the teams needs today.  Roch has noted several times that Hays doesn't work as the everyday RF because he is a right-handed bat.  But in this same piece he alludes that Buck would prefer to get Gentry saying Buck trusts his defense.  Of course Gentry like Hays and Rickard is a right-handed bat.

Finally, Machado/Beckham situation seems odd.  At least to me.  Buck acknowledges he knows what he wants to do and has spoken to both players.  Then he mentions that Beckham has worked in multiple spots even the outfield.  Well, doesn't that mean Manny is your SS?  I don't know how to take it any other way, and I do not understand why the Orioles would do this without locking Manny up.  Is Buck trying to get JJ Hardy back?  Is he trying to force PA to buck up some cash?  IDK...

I just see some subtle cracks and while DD and Buck have certainly had different opinions before, I am seeing more daylight between them.  Whether that is real or something I am creating remains to be seen.  But if so, its not healthy regardless of how long either/both of them remains.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t know.   Buck certainly wants to improve the defense, but a part of the problem is that his core guys have gotten older and aren’t as good as they used to be.   To some degree, Buck’s comments about the younger players is just a way of sending them a message about what they need to work on.  

Reads like a guy that's in his walk year who has been at odds with Duquette over the years.

I know there are some here that believe that Buck doesn't care about defense, but I imagine you have to give a little to pragmatism when you're routinely given a bunch of DH's to play the OF.

Sounds like very few people on this thread actually heard the interview live.  I did.  He did not seem any different than he always does.  His words are reading much differently in print than they sounded live.  If anything, he reassured me he seems to be in this for the long haul, and has a plan.  When asked about the contract expiring, he deflected it quite well.  He said it isn't anything to think about because none of us (on the team) know where we will be in a year, with or without a contract.  Anyone can be moved at any time.  Personally, it sounded to me that he believes he will be with this organization in some capacity for a while to come.  I just don't know what that capacity will be, manager, or GM.  

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

He said the same thing about defense before last season as well, about "getting away from it". Dan's response was to sign Trumbo.

Yes, but HRs.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know.   Buck certainly wants to improve the defense, but a part of the problem is that his core guys have gotten older and aren’t as good as they used to be.   To some degree, Buck’s comments about the younger players is just a way of sending them a message about what they need to work on.  

Maybe, but I want Hays to be aggressive. He’ll have a better idea when not to implement that style when his internal clock slows down. Or, when he gets more experience.

And just from what I saw of Santander I liked. He looked athletic out there, fielded well and threw the ball well. Probably not a plus defender yet, but he isn’t Trumbo and that’s a plus.

2 minutes ago, jtm said:

Sounds like very few people on this thread actually heard the interview live.  I did.  He did not seem any different than he always does.  His words are reading much differently in print than they sounded live.  If anything, he reassured me he seems to be in this for the long haul, and has a plan.  When asked about the contract expiring, he deflected it quite well.  He said it isn't anything to think about because none of us (on the team) know where we will be in a year, with or without a contract.  Anyone can be moved at any time.  Personally, it sounded to me that he believes he will be with this organization in some capacity for a while to come.  I just don't know what that capacity will be, manager, or GM.  

I'd love for him to stay at manager. Not as long as Sparky stayed in Detroit, but stay as long as he's effective. 

5 minutes ago, jtm said:

Well, this is why I posted the topic.  I said I dont know and reading the words the tone seems different than what I typically read.  Frobby said it was Buck sending a message...but typically when he does that his words are more encouraging.  

I did not catch the interview, and clearly took all of my notes from Roch...thanks for putting more context into this, and I will try to listen to a replay.  The words read harshly and that's why I brought it here.  And to be fair, Roch noted Buck's comments on his own status and I did not use them...

Lastly, my own feelings of Buck as a manager is I want him to stay.  I am not as certain I want him as GM.  He has a lot of power already and does not get held accountable in that way...perhaps fully in the role he would excel.  The items he seems to have had the most influence on while here...not so much.

Again, thanks for adding.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

He said the same thing about defense before last season as well, about "getting away from it". Dan's response was to sign Trumbo.

To be fair, Dan traded for Seth Smith and didn’t sign Alvarez to a major league deal, thus limiting Trumbo to 31 starts in the OF compared to 95 the previous year. The OF defense improved from -36.7 UZR to -21.1 UZR.    The problem last year was the infield defense declined from +24.1 to +3.5.  That included:

1B +4.6 to -1.1

2B -2.4 to +0.5

SS +10.3 to +0.3

3B +11.6 to +3.8

That’s largely a function of declines by Davis, Hardy and Machado last year, plus Hardy missing so much time.   

To me, that all sounds like normal Buck. He's always said those sort of things.

I think its pretty clear that the plan right now is for Manny to start at SS - but they aren't announcing anything yet just in case something unforeseen happens. With the way the offseason is going, who knows what free agent falls in their laps?

Archived