I'm feeling more optimistic about 2018

Diehard_O's_Fan

I don't know about you Oriole fans but I am starting to feel more optimistic about the 2018 Orioles. I don't feel the Orioles pitching can be worse than last year. In fact, I feel it will be a lot better. Chris Tillman is finally healthy. Andrew Cashner will win the Orioles games providing he gets enough run support. It would not shock me to see Tillman and Cashner both have 15 wins or more. In fact, I could see the Orioles having four 15 game winners. It is very possible if you ask me. The Orioles offense should be fine. It is just up to the pitchers to keep the game from getting out of hand. Call me crazy but I believe the Orioles will finish over 500 and surprise lots of people. Buckle up boys and hold on for the ride. The Orioles are a very underrated team if you ask me.

I think we have good depth with our position players for the upcoming season. With legit prospects like Sisco, Hays, Mullins, Santander, Stewart, and Mountcastle, knocking on the door in the upper minors. 

DD has quietly put together some solid P depth in the upper minors. We’re 1-2 P moves away from having our best staff/depth since 2014.  If we could add Lynn, and a Feldman/Liriano type, we would have good talent 1-5 in the rotation and good depth. 

As of now, we still have guys that could still break out and have a big ST. Guys like Wright, Castro, Ynoa, Cortes, Mesa Jr.  We also have a good/established pen with young arms on the horizon like Scott, Yacobonis, Chrichton, Araujuo, etc....  

The punchlines have been there all offseason about this staff, but quite frankly this staff is a lot better than last year and has the potential to be a lot better if a couple young guys show they are ready. 

As we all know, the Orioles pitching was historically bad last year. There is absolutely no way the pitching can be as bad as last year. I also expect the offense to be better this year. There is reason for optimism boys. We Oriole fans can be way to pessimistic. I know we play in the AL East but we don't have to be so negative.

4 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I don't know about you Oriole fans but I am starting to feel more optimistic about the 2018 Orioles. I don't feel the Orioles pitching can be worse than last year. In fact, I feel it will be a lot better. Chris Tillman is finally healthy. Andrew Cashner will win the Orioles games providing he gets enough run support. It would not shock me to see Tillman and Cashner both have 15 wins or more. In fact, I could see the Orioles having four 15 game winners. It is very possible if you ask me. The Orioles offense should be fine. It is just up to the pitchers to keep the game from getting out of hand. Call me crazy but I believe the Orioles will finish over 500 and surprise lots of people. Buckle up boys and hold on for the ride. The Orioles are a very underrated team if you ask me.

You drinking tonight?  

Just kidding.  I like your optimism and hope you're right.  I like the additions this week of Cashner, Tillman, and even Rasmus, but I think these moves put us into contention for 3rd place.  Its not nearly enough to contend for the division and probably not a wild card unless a ton of things go right. 

Well, the team is certainly better than a few weeks ago with the additions of Cashner and Rasmus... and would improve even more with a healthy Tillman.   Still feels like an unfinished product.

Odds look bad but we won't really know until they play the games.  The Orioles are going to need a few surprises, particularly from the young crowd that sportsfan8703 mentioned.

I think Machado is poised to have an MVP level type season with the bat. Having to rely on Tillmanand Cortes/Ynoa/Castro might be too much to overcome. Seems like it could be Miley and Ubaldo all over again. Throw in Lynn and I’d really like our squad. 

I think a Rasmus/Gentry platoon could surprise people. Like 3+ WAR surprise. Rickard has options. Make him have to beat out Gentry in ST. 

The pitching can be better.  Will it be leaps and bounds better?  Hard to say.  

While the focus around here has been pitching (rightfully so), the offense isn't great shakes either.  Prone to score 10 runs one night and 2 the next.  Awesome hot streaks followed by team long collective slumps because no one gets on base.  

I am optimistic as well, mainly because of the same reasons. I think the offense will be better, mostly because Manny wants to lock in that pay day. Schoop looks like a breakout candidate last year that will keep it going. Davis CAN"T be worse than last year. Jones is who he is, also that last contract... Young hungry players trying to make their mark.

Pitching they HAVE to be better because it's really really hard to be worse than last year. They almost would have to TRY to be worse than last year to top it. 

In the end it still equals 81 wins... Yay... I guess?

8 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

As we all know, the Orioles pitching was historically bad last year. There is absolutely no way the pitching can be as bad as last year. I also expect the offense to be better this year. There is reason for optimism boys. We Oriole fans can be way to pessimistic. I know we play in the AL East but we don't have to be so negative.

The starting pitching could easily be just as bad. 

35 minutes ago, andrewochs615 said:

The starting pitching could easily be just as bad. 

I don’t know about “easily.”     But it could happen.   One thing about last year is that aside from Tillman, the staff was pretty healthy.    This year’s staff might not be so lucky.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know about “easily.”     But it could happen.   One thing about last year is that aside from Tillman, the staff was pretty healthy.    This year’s staff might not be so lucky.   

True.
But, at this point in the off-season, the sky is a bit brighter and I can't wait for opening day and the Ump to yell, "PLAY BALL" So we can discuss on the game play!!!! :)

Archived