Cortes is DFA'd, Ramirez brought up

Tony-OH

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Did Cortes ever hit 93 MPH when he was with us?

I don’t remember.  Don’t think so.  The Yankees sure seem to love him rn nd Yankees twitter seems reeeeeeeelly thankful that we give him back to them

4 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

But, Cortes supplied a legal delivery.

Unlike Carter Capps, who jumped off the rubber and illegally re-planted his drive foot prior to release. How was he ever allowed to get away with that blatantly illegal delivery?

Not understanding...are you saying these deliveries are illegal and shouldn’t be allowed?

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So he was hitting 93 before the O's acquired him?  I don't remember that being the case.

Arm injury incoming.  The MLB SOP

Develop a pitcher so they have a sustainable repeatable delivery.

Did't work? Not getting good results? Next step is release?

Redevelop them using an unsustainable delivery that leads to injury.  If they get injured it's okay because you got value out of them and would have released them anyway.  If they don't get injured profit more.

Wow.  This is a really pessimistic post.  But I have seen a trend this year.  While I do think it's possible pitchers can sustainably add velocity I have seen a fair number of injuries from these reworks.

49 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Arm injury incoming.  The MLB SOP

Develop a pitcher so they have a sustainable repeatable delivery.

Did't work? Not getting good results? Next step is release?

Redevelop them using an unsustainable delivery that leads to injury.  If they get injured it's okay because you got value out of them and would have released them anyway.  If they don't get injured profit more.

Wow.  This is a really pessimistic post.  But I have seen a trend this year.  While I do think it's possible pitchers can sustainably add velocity I have seen a fair number of injuries from these reworks.

You can still work a 9-5 with a arm injury from baseball. The not knowing for a player if they could have tried a unique delivery would be way worse for the player. 

5 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Did Cortes ever hit 93 MPH when he was with us?

6 minutes ago, bobmc said:

@Luke-OH would remember and has probably been watching his progress lately.

Who says he’s hitting 93?    Fangraphs shows him averaging 89.5 mph with his fastball, which is 1 mph more than last year.   

Let’s not start some false narrative where Cortes was throwing 93 until the Orioles started messing with him.   First time I ever heard his name was before the 2017 Rule 5 draft when Luke wrote about him and said his FB was only around 90 but played up due to deception.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Who says he’s hitting 93?    Fangraphs shows him averaging 89.5 mph with his fastball, which is 1 mph more than last year.   

Let’s not start some false narrative where Cortes was throwing 93 until the Orioles started messing with him.   First time I ever heard his name was before the 2017 Rule 5 draft when Luke wrote about him and said his FB was only around 90 but played up due to deception.   

If you look at the video above where he shuffles his feet, the 93 mph shows in the box.

• Upvote 1