Sisco reminds me of Markakis

Frobby

When I watch Sisco bat, he reminds me a lot of Nick Markakis — very good strike zone judgment, patient, doesn’t overswing and hits the ball where it’s pitched.   I’d be pretty happy if Sisco put up Markakis-like numbers as a catcher.   

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think we could see him start getting the lion's share of starts going forward.  Caleb is not hitting and Sisco is. 

His bat is what I think most expected it would be.  I'm impressed with his poise behind the plate and blocking ability.  He's also caught 3 of 3 stealing.  I've missed these plays.  Can anyone comment on how his arm/foot work looked on those CS?

29 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Think we could see him start getting the lion's share of starts going forward.  Caleb is not hitting and Sisco is. 

His bat is what I think most expected it would be.  I'm impressed with his poise behind the plate and blocking ability.  He's also caught 3 of 3 stealing.  I've missed these plays.  Can anyone comment on how his arm/foot work looked on those CS?

Joseph is getting all 4 starts vs the Red Sox.

He isn't 3 for 3. 

On the two successful steals against him I've seen, his throws weren't good and bounced, along with a slow release. But it seems like he has his moments where he puts everything together and get the runner.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

He's thrown out 3 of 6. 50%   0 passed balls. 0 errors.

Joseph is 2 of 7. 28.6%  1 passed ball. 1 error.

Now those are very small samples and Joseph is the superior defensive catcher and framer, but Sisco has been quite solid so far.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

When I watch Sisco bat, he reminds me a lot of Nick Markakis — very good strike zone judgment, patient, doesn’t overswing and hits the ball where it’s pitched.   I’d be pretty happy if Sisco put up Markakis-like numbers as a catcher.   

You know, I think I made the comparison to Kakes last year or prior. Glad someone thinks like i am

5 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Joseph is getting all 4 starts vs the Red Sox.

He isn't 3 for 3. 

On the two successful steals against him I've seen, his throws weren't good and bounced, along with a slow release. But it seems like he has his moments where he puts everything together and get the runner.

After these 4 games is probably Sisco’s chance to get more ABs. This might be a long 4 game series vs the Sox. Caleb has to catch it all plus give us something with the bat. Caleb hasn’t had much life in his bat this year.  

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

That is high praise coming from you, a big Markakis fan.

5 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

You know, I think I made the comparison to Kakes last year or prior. Glad someone thinks like i am

Let me check "the record" first before giving you the "props".....:ph34r:

The shot he hit over Pillar's head was scorched and then he easily deposits the nice single to the six hole  - he's a player!  The arm is coming around - last throw I saw was lasered.

Sisco hit .311 / .390 / .426   (.815)  over 5 seasons in the minor leagues.

Markakis hit .301 / .380 / .476  (.856) over 4 seasons there..........so while I doubt Sisco will ever hit for huge power, his ability to hit for average / OBP is unquestioned and fills a huge need for the team.

Fun facts:

Joe Mauer had a .833 OPS over 8 minor league seasons (looks like this is including short rehab stints too after being a big leaguer....not sure how to filter that out)

Matt Wieters had a 1.007 OPS over 4 minor league seasons

So no one actually can predict anything with supreme confidence.   ;)

Just now, Aglets said:

Sisco hit .311 / .390 / .426   (.815)  over 5 seasons in the minor leagues.

Markakis hit .301 / .380 / .476  (.856) over 4 seasons there..........so while I doubt Sisco will ever hit for huge power, his ability to hit for average / OBP is unquestioned and fills a huge need for the team.

Fun facts:

Joe Mauer had a .833 OPS over 8 minor league season

Matt Wieters had a 1.007 OPS over 4 minor league seasons

So no one actually can predict anything with supreme confidence.   ;)

I agree on huge power, but they have changed the balls since Markakis made his debut and that should give Sisco's power a boost.

Archived