Chicago Sun: Cubs interested in Manny

Tony-OH

The Cubs can join everyone else in the NL who might want Manny.  I have commented before to say that could be a long list that includes teams in their division and who would be competing with them for a WC spot.  They have some solid young prospects.  The Orioles will really need to fail hard to muck this up.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The Cubs can join everyone else in the NL who might want Manny.  I have commented before to say that could be a long list that includes teams in their division and who would be competing with them for a WC spot.  They have some solid young prospects.  The Orioles will really need to fail hard to muck this up.

Well...this IS the Orioles we're talking about.  ?

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

So here's the rub. We're not even sure they're shopping Manny. Because there have been legitimate rumors since the Winter Meetings. All of this is just reporters writing speculative articles based on the teams that were rumored to be interested before. 

Here's how I think this plays out. They wait until after the all-star break to finally determine that they should trade him. Then they go into panic mode and ask for entirely too much (like they did before). And  they ultimately decide to keep him, because they decide he's worth more to them for a few more months (to help sell tickets) then what they'd be getting in return. Then the go on to average 12,000 in attendance next season because not only do they have a bad team they have a starless team with no upside. 

4 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

Isn't it a pick at the end of the first round if he signs for $50 million or more?

Perhaps I’m confused but didn’t we get a better pick before the rule was changed? 

Thats all I really meant.... a pick after the first round likely won’t get you a Machado type player 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Perhaps I’m confused but didn’t we get a better pick before the rule was changed? 

Thats all I really meant.... a pick after the first round likely won’t get you a Machado type player 

A top five pick likely won't get you a Machado type player.

51 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

It wouldn't surprise me that they have decided to keep Manny and fill as many seats as they can this year because next year could get real ugly as you point out. Assuming nobody is going to give up top prospects, why bother dealing him? There will be no difference makers coming here anyways. Might as well build through the draft for the foreseeable future.

This approach would be beyond stupid and cement the fact that it's time for new ownership 

21 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

"Way back when" you got the signing team's pick. Unless it was a protected pick.  Ancient history anymore. 

If they Cubs are serious about trading for Machado I'm guessing the O's ask for a package centered around Baez, the Cubs counter with Russell, and then the meet in the middle with Happ.

BTW, I just skimmed the MLB top 100 prospects list and didn't see a single Cub. Did I miss someone or is all of their talent at the lower levels? 

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If they Cubs are serious about trading for Machado I'm guessing the O's ask for a package centered around Baez, the Cubs counter with Russell, and then the meet in the middle with Happ.

BTW, I just skimmed the MLB top 100 prospects list and didn't see a single Cub. Did I miss someone or is all of their talent at the lower levels? 

The Cubs have no prospects in top 100, correct. Theo used a lot of his ammo already. 

8 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

The Cubs have no prospects in top 100, correct. Theo used a lot of his ammo already. 

So we'd probably be looking at a Happ / Montgomery type of package then. Not thrilled about that combo, but I think I'd still probably pull the trigger. 

11 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So we'd probably be looking at a Happ / Montgomery type of package then. Not thrilled about that combo, but I think I'd still probably pull the trigger. 

I would not be thrilled at all with that.   I just don't think Happ offers a lot, and Montgomery would get shelled in the AL East.

I wouldn't mind a Russell/Almora deal, but I don't think there's a chance of that happening.

Archived