Random Thought Thread

Moose Milligan

4 hours ago, murph said:

You should see this future HOF/ future Cub 3B/SS everyone has been talking about. 

It was a reference to not having great, career Oriole type of players to look back on...but yes, I have heard of Machado, briefly - who will also not likely be a long time Oriole. ?

• Upvote 1

What if Eddie Rogers had really been "the next AROD"?  Or was he that the guy who took over SS when Cal went to third?  I forget (a lot of ish)  but what if the guy who was supposed to be "the next AROD" had become so?  I'm feeling like the deceased comic on SNL (Chris Farley) who was interviewing Paul McCartney and asked rhetorically, "Wouldn't that be cool?"

Edited by bobmc
EdRog?
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, thatbearflies said:

It was a reference to not having great, career Oriole type of players to look back on...but yes, I have heard of Machado, briefly - who will also not likely be a long time Oriole. ?

Ah gotchya, I did misunderstand.   Yea Machado as a career Oriole would be something.   But not something I was ever counting on....unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure who my favorite end of the line Oriole is.  You know, guys that had big careers elsewhere but came to Baltimore to die.

I always thought it was weird we had Joe Carter.  

d6acef89b26a5e5eeaa2e711795342db.jpg

I remember when we got Dwight Evans, I was 9 headed into the 1991 season.  I had this program:

411bah1vb2L.jpg

I thought Dwight Evans was going to be awesome.  Didn't really understand the concept of a guy being old and at the end of his career.

I might go with Eric Davis, but he was TOO good here to really count, IMO.  Eric Davis was awesome.

My least favorite end of line Oriole is Doug Drabek, hands down.  Couldn't stand him.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure who my favorite end of the line Oriole is.  You know, guys that had big careers elsewhere but came to Baltimore to die.

I remember when we got Dwight Evans, I was 9 headed into the 1991 season.  I had this program:

411bah1vb2L.jpg

I thought Dwight Evans was going to be awesome.  Didn't really understand the concept of a guy being old and at the end of his career.

I might go with Eric Davis, but he was TOO good here to really count, IMO.  Eric Davis was awesome.

My least favorite end of line Oriole is Doug Drabek, hands down.  Couldn't stand him.  

Andy Van Slyke is another one.  He was awesome with the Pirates and not so awesome with the Orioles.  

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, JazzyJake said:

Until MLB implements a meaningful salary cap there will be the haves and the have-nots situation we have now where the smaller market teams serve as player development for the large market teams.  The O’s are a AAAA franchise.  Bye Manny!

A salary cap would exacerbate the gap between the wealthiest teams and the others. A salary cap would ensure smaller market teams would be feeders of talent to the biggest-market clubs. I believe that you mean well by your suggestion, but the economics of instituting a salary cap would result in the exact opposite of what you wish it would accomplish.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

411bah1vb2L.jpg

8022083695_d1540081b8_z.jpg

• Upvote 3

I just saw a hand-made sign in the stands at today's Boston game vs Jays at Fenway.  It said, in colored inks, "Hi Nana!"  It caused me to smirk and then smile.  I wonder if any of the fans at last night's Oriole game had any funny, quirky signs?  

On MLB draft day, I wonder what guys like Billy Rowell are up to.  What happened to that guy?  Flamed out, of course.  But is he washing dishes at a diner in Topeka or is he got his life together?  Judging by how he went out, I don't think he's got his life together but I'd like to see.  Same with Chris Smith, etc. 

My friend in an Orioles fans group texts was talking about Ravens/Colts scenario for the Orioles. Would you give up the entire organization/history of the Franchise, owner, front office, current players/prospects, team name, mascot, alumni, team records, etc but in return you get an expansion team with new ownership.

Out of 10 diehard O’s fans it was a unanimous choice to sacrifice everything about the team to get rid of Angelos. Sad how bad things have gotten for a once proud organization 

1 hour ago, utvolzac said:

My friend in an Orioles fans group texts was talking about Ravens/Colts scenario for the Orioles. Would you give up the entire organization/history of the Franchise, owner, front office, current players/prospects, team name, mascot, alumni, team records, etc but in return you get an expansion team with new ownership.

Out of 10 diehard O’s fans it was a unanimous choice to sacrifice everything about the team to get rid of Angelos. Sad how bad things have gotten for a once proud organization 

Keep OPACY, right?

I am not sure where I would stand on this.  On the one side, it'd be awesome to get rid of him.  On the other hand, I know I can outlast him.  The wild card here is his sons.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Keep OPACY, right?

I am not sure where I would stand on this.  On the one side, it'd be awesome to get rid of him.  On the other hand, I know I can outlast him.  The wild card here is his sons.  

Yeah OPACY would stay, just a new name.

It would be weird seeing Cal Ripken day celebrated by the Las Vegas Orioles or something, but I’d take it for a chance at new ownership.

Based off Tony’s article about Brady being in power because he’s friends with one of the Angelos kids, I have no faith that things will change once the kids take over.