The turning point of this collape

MongoBoy

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

So what are the Nats' feeding him? In 43 innings, he has an ERA of 2.30 and a WHIP of .93. I know it's the National League, but still. Is it no hummus and veggies at all for Nats players, or do they just alternate it with other stuff?  :confused:

Rich guys like that? It's steak every day. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Kaven5 said:

Something changed after 1996. Ownership is more worried about the budget than winning.

A competent organization can be competitive with the Orioles' budget.

I don't think any owner of the Orioles has spent as much (compared to his peers) as Angelos.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

A competent organization can be competitive with the Orioles' budget.

I don't think any owner of the Orioles has spent as much (compared to his peers) as Angelos.

Absolutely. Just not in Baltimore. In the AL East. 

"A competent organization can be competitive with the Orioles' budget."

We agree there. Competency is the word.

"I don't think any owner of the Orioles has spent as much (compared to his peers) as Angelos."

Do you work for MASN ?

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s a crock.   They simply don’t know how to spend money wisely.  

There is some truth to that.  There are 16 teams in baseball with smaller payrolls than the Orioles and they all have better records.  What we need is very competent management but an owner really wanting to win would do something about it.  You're never going to win anything with Dumpster Dan.  Most of the decent GM's we've had have left to get away from the owner.

33 minutes ago, Kaven5 said:

"A competent organization can be competitive with the Orioles' budget."

We agree there. Competency is the word.

"I don't think any owner of the Orioles has spent as much (compared to his peers) as Angelos."

Do you work for MASN ?

Eli Jacobs filed for bankruptcy protection.

Edward Bennent Willams didn't spend a lot on the team (aside from a free agent spree in the 84-85 offseason).

I can't speak on Jerold Hoffberger and cohorts but I don't think the early days of the team included a lot of spending.

It always comes back for me to the pitching.   We had one year when our pitching became relatively good performers...2014.   Chen, Norris, Gonzo, Tillman all had what now is pretty clear,  seasons that were peak and which they have not come anywhere close to repeating. 

We have yet to draft and develop a true TOR starter in over 25 years...not since Mike Mussina left this team.    Yes, we have had some pretty good pitchers with pretty good years, but no Verlanders, Kershaw, Scherzer types.    The one that did become a Cy Young did it someplace else.  

Until this team drafts and develops a true TOR pitcher, it will unlikely be a winner consistently.    All the offensive woes, and the Manny debacle, and the defense, and the bullpen, yes...all are important.   But starting pitching is it.  It always has been, always will be.    Draft pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching...and maybe, just maybe, you run into a true TOR type. 

The down turn of this collapse was the trade for Manny Parra.  It signall3d a few things.  1.  This organization could properly assess whether they had a competitive product or one in decline.  2.  They gave up a pitcher who could have helped them in the future.  3.  They did not trade players who had value like Davis (which they would have done if they realized they should be sellers).

Many people will point to the wild card game as the breaking point.  I think that was the last in a line of events that really broke this team.

Archived