Who is available for LF???

bigbird

Bedard could perhaps net two top prospects if one of them was years away from the bigleagues, as Barton was.

These discussions invariably include two (and sometimes three) top prospects that the O's would plug right into their bigleague lineup.

BEcause that is the only way we should or would trade him.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That comp doesn't work, unless there's a team out there at serious risk of being contracted and having their entire system dissolved, like the Expos were at the time of the Colon trade.

You asked for a comp and I gave you one.

Why does it matter if that team was in danger of being dissolved? That argument doesn't add up to me.

Mulder had averaged well over 200 innings for his last four seasons, was putting up elite-level ERA+ scores, and had finished second in the Cy Young balloting.

Bedard can't say any of that, plus Bedard's older than Mulder was.

Please. This is ridiculous.

Mulder's numbers from 2002 - 2004:

K/9 - 6.90, 6.17, 5.58

W/9 - 2.39, 1.93, 3.31

HR/9 - .91, .72, 1.00

H/9 - 7.90, 8.68, 8.89

ERA - 3.47, 3.13, 4.43

IP - 207, 186.2, 225.2

Erik Bedard 2005 - 2007

K/9 - 7.94, 7.84, 10.85

W/9 - 3.62, 3.16, 2.69

HR/9 - .64, .73, .93

H/9 - 8.83, 8.98, 7.91

ERA - 4.00, 3.76, 3.36

IP - 141.2, 196.1, -

What player would you want? Mulder threw more innings but Bedard has the fresher arm. Would you trade a lot for a player clearly in decline or for a guy who is getting better?

BEcause that is the only way we should or would trade him.

Which makes the entire discussion moot.

You cross over from amusing to nonsensical the moment you change the tone from "we should ask for X, Y, and Z" to, "we can get X, Y, and Z".

If someone came asking about buying my house, I'd ask for double its assessed value. I like my house and I'm in no hurry to move. But I'd be an idiot to expect to find someone willing to pay that.

So don't be an idiot, I guess is my point.

See SG's post above. Also he brought back three players two of which had to be thought of has very good prospects in Barton and Haren. Thanks for providing the proof you requested.;)

See my post above.

You can maybe get two very good prospects for Bedard so long as one of them has years of development time in front of him. Two top ML-ready guys plus more isn't happening though.

Bedard could perhaps net two top prospects if one of them was years away from the bigleagues, as Barton was.

These discussions invariably include two (and sometimes three) top prospects that the O's would plug right into their bigleague lineup.

I would probably ask for two major league prospects and a third one who would have some ways to go before reaching the majors. Or two good prospects in betwee far away and major league ready.

The Cardinals gave up a top-50 MLB ready pitcher and a very good bullpen guy. Bedard has more value than Mulder so I don't see why they couldn't two top major league ready positional prospects for him.

You cross over from amusing to nonsensical the moment you change the tone from "we should ask for X, Y, and Z" to, "we can get X, Y, and Z".

If someone came asking about buying my house, I'd ask for double its assessed value. I like my house and I'm in no hurry to move. But I'd be an idiot to expect to find someone willing to pay that.

But he is not being an idiot to think he could/should find someone to pay a price equal to what a fair market appraisal came in at.

You asked for a comp and I gave you one.

Why does it matter if that team was in danger of being dissolved? That argument doesn't add up to me.

It matters because it put the Expos in a position where they were willing to make trades they otherwise wouldn't have even considered.

You really should take your own advice.

But he is not being an idiot to think he could/should find someone to pay a price equal to what a fair market appraisal came in at.

Where are you getting that fair market appraisal on Bedard again?

Where are you getting that fair market appraisal on Bedard again?

I am still waiting for you to give a real comparison to a guy who was traded that had Bedard's resume with it.

The Mulder comparison is poor because of his trends and injuries.

Who else?

I would like to see Rios in a trade but not sure I want Cabrera traded within the division.

You mean two-time All-Star Alex Rios for inconsistent Daniel Cabera? Look at this from the perspective of the Blue Jays, and we'd have to give up much more than Cabrera...

I would probably ask for two major league prospects and a third one who would have some ways to go before reaching the majors. Or two good prospects in betwee far away and major league ready.

The Cardinals gave up a top-50 MLB ready pitcher and a very good bullpen guy. Bedard has more value than Mulder so I don't see why they couldn't two top major league ready positional prospects for him.

I don't agree that Bedard has more value than Mulder did, but that is a debate going nowhere fast, so I'll just leave it at that.

I could see a team offering a package very similar to what the Cards gave for Mulder.

Archived