Could the Orioles Move Out of Baltimore in 2024?

oriolesfan97

Camden Yards lease with the Orioles is expiring after 2023, and with the TV rights dispute with MASN and the Nats entering a new MLB arbitration panel, a loss in the courtroom for the Orioles will be so bad financially, that relocation becomes a possibility.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-schmuck-orioles-relocation-20180622-story.html

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, oriolesfan97 said:

Camden Yards lease with the Orioles is expiring after 2023, and with the TV rights dispute with MASN and the Nats entering a new MLB arbitration panel, a loss in the courtroom for the Orioles will be so bad financially, that relocation becomes a possibility.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-schmuck-orioles-relocation-20180622-story.html

I can’t read the article, but I don’t even know what Schmuck means by “a loss in the courtroom?”   Does he mean a worse result than the prior panel gave?    Or just a result equivalent to the prior panel?

Ironically, it seems to me that if the Orioles moved, they’d lose any cut of the MASN profits and might have to pay some other team for moving into their TV territory.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can’t read the article, but I don’t even know what Schmuck means by “a loss in the courtroom?”   Does he mean a worse result than the prior panel gave?    Or just a result equivalent to the prior panel?

Ironically, it seems to me that if the Orioles moved, they’d lose any cut of the MASN profits and might have to pay some other team for moving into their TV territory.   

Rumors have surfaced periodically over the past couple of decades that the team might be for sale, but the ongoing MASN lawsuit also would complicate that possibility for a couple of reasons. The uncertainty of the outcome would make it difficult to accurately value the franchise and any sale would have to be approved by MLB, which is a party to the ongoing lawsuit.
The primary argument in favor of moving the franchise would be the club’s contention that a major drop in MASN money would reduce the Orioles to a perpetually marginal, low-revenue team that would be at a competitive disadvantage in the American League and a geographic disadvantage to the Nationals.

29 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Never going to happen. Waste of time to worry about it.  

MLB would force the Angelos family to sell the team if they tried to pull of such a stunt.  The Orioles problems are self inflicted.  With proper ownership, the Orioles could thrive in this market even if they lost the Nationals' share of MASN revenues.    

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Viva Las Vegas. 

Don't see it happening.  First, no stadium and nowhere nearby to play while one is built.  And just because the NHL and NFL have signed off, doesn't mean MLB will.  The Raiders only have to sell 10 dates, and we'll see how the Knights do attendance-wise for 40+ home dates when they're not in the Stanley Cup Finals.  There's just no way a MLB team, specifically the Orioles, will be able to get better attendance over 81 home dates in Vegas than in Baltimore.  And then there's the geography issue.

56 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Nashville or Salt Lake City would be my guesses. 2 prime and rapidly expanding markets that would be uncontestable with other teams in the league. 

Don't see it, for most of the same reasons as above, pretty much.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

MLB would force the Angelos family to sell the team if they tried to pull of such a stunt.  The Orioles problems are self inflicted.  With proper ownership, the Orioles could thrive in this market even if they lost the Nationals' share of MASN revenues.    

Disagree completely. 

Archived