John Andreoli Claimed from and by Seattle

weams

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Since we're not competing for anything, why not make the team more fun and utilize speed more?  Start an OF of Mullins, Gentry, and Andreoli.  Villar might already be the top stealing threat in the league.  Encourage Beckham to use his speed.  KC beat us in the playoffs a few years ago with speed and a bullpen.  We won't win like they did, but we'd at least be more entertaining than we have been all season. 

Edit:  Wilkerson's another speed guy I'd add to the lineup.  He's not a big base-stealer, but he can be part of double steals and get the aggressive extra base.    

Buck seems to like Jace Peterson and he already has 11 swipes in a part-time role. 28 walks in 218 PAs keeps his OBP up despite a Mendoza-region BA.

I don't know if anyone noticed it last night, but Andreoli was flying on the little chopper he hit that went to short. Had to watch the Blue Jaya broadcast on MLB TV and they had the camera behind the shortstop. Andreoli didn't appear until the ball was being thrown and all you saw was a blur from him.

If he is with the Orioles next year for Players Weekend, he better have "The Flash" on his jersey...

He has had at least 3 or 4 warning track balls caught already.  Pillar made the Willie Mays catch on him the other night early in the game.  Two or three could have been HR's at other parks.  I think in the beginning of this post I said the Seattle GM said he wished they could have found a way to play Andreoli a solid month to see what he could do. Raved about his speed and defense. They said he had an above average arm.  I haven't seen him make any throws yet. Has anybody seem him make any throws to home or 2B?

31 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Buck seems to like Jace Peterson and he already has 11 swipes in a part-time role. 28 walks in 218 PAs keeps his OBP up despite a Mendoza-region BA.

Jace's success stealing bases this season is likely a fluke or outlier.  He was a semi-regular for the Braves the last 3 seasons and stole a total of only 20 bases in 35 attempts.   

38 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Jace's success stealing bases this season is likely a fluke or outlier.  He was a semi-regular for the Braves the last 3 seasons and stole a total of only 20 bases in 35 attempts.   

Maybe. But he stole a whole lot of bases in his four years in the San Diego system (39, 51, 42, 24 with a good success rate except in the last season). So I think it's a combination of improving upon his stealing skills (his intervening percentages with Atlanta were bad) and Buck or someone on the O's saying "Why don't you try going back to that?" After all, a marginal player like Peterson needs to add everything he can to survive in the majors. It also fits with the leadoff and pinchrunning roles Buck has often given him.

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

I do hope he is better than Rickard. 

Andreoli is a year older than Rickards and has played in 10 major league games in his career. Rickard out hit Andreoli at basically every level of the minor leagues. I don't know what you are basing this hope on? I hope the Orioles have better players that allow them to not use Rickard, Andreoli, etc., in the relatively near future. 

Archived