John Andreoli Claimed from and by Seattle

weams

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

At age 24:
Rickard had an .874 OPS split between three levels in the minors.
Andreoli had a .578 in AA.

At age 25:
Rickard was taken as a Rule 5er by the Orioles and had a .696 OPS in the Majors.
Andreoli logged a .773 OPS in the Pacific Coast League, 8th best among regulars on the Iowa Cubs.  His teammate Taylor Teagarden out hit him by 50 points.

At age 26:
Rickard played, although poorly, in his second year in the Majors.
Andreoli repeated AAA in he PCL and OPS'd .770, three points lower than the preceding year, and good for 6th on a 67-76 team.

At age 27:
Rickard had a .700 OPS in the majors, and an .860 in notoriously pitcher-friendly Norfolk.
Andreoli hit .244 with a .783 OPS in his third stint in AAA Iowa.

At age 28:
Rickard isn't 28 yet.
Andreoli had a .798 OPS in his fourth round in the PCL.

I think the evidence that Andreoli is better than Rickard is scant, and mainly confined to the fact that he has less service time and therefore would be cheaper.

Just think about how much time you just spent writing a comparison between Joey Rickard and John Andreoli and how you can never get that time back.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I guess.  I mean, the future of the Orioles probably doesn't involve either, unless they're a 4th outfielder.  They're just guys.

Rickard's got movie star looks though.

Can't we go for MLB's most handsome team?  I remember one year we had like all of the tallest pitchers in baseball, now we should go for sex appeal.

28 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I guess.  I mean, the future of the Orioles probably doesn't involve either, unless they're a 4th outfielder.  They're just guys.

I agree with that, but Gentry is solely here due to being a "Buck Guy" and Rickard having options.

DFA Gentry and add anyone else to the 40 and get ready for September. Gentry is just clogging up a spot.

11 hours ago, Barnaby Graves said:

Rickard's got movie star looks though.

Can't we go for MLB's most handsome team?  I remember one year we had like all of the tallest pitchers in baseball, now we should go for sex appeal.

I mean if we're going for sex appeal let's bring back Anna Benson.  Not into looking at dudes.

23 hours ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

Just a small note: Joey will be 1st year arbitration going into 2019. If as some say they will cut payroll, I could see Joey traded this winter.

It's doubtful the team will go to arbitration with Rickard. They will most likely non-tender him them perhaps try to resign him to a minor league contract with incentives that gives him his salary back if he makes the team, but as a replacement level player, he's not going to be worth going to arbitration.

21 hours ago, thezeroes said:

I do not think that Joey Rickard will acquire the three years worth of service time that would make him arbitration eligible.  At the start of 2018 he had 1 Year and 168 Days.  He would have had to been on the 25 man roster for the entire year to get the required Service Time.  He has been at Norfolk for at least 55 days this year which would reduce him to less than the 172 days needed.

Don’t forget, “super-2’s” are also eligible for arbitration.   As you said, Rickard was at 1 year, 168 days going into this season.   He’s accrued about 98 days so far this year.   He could accrue another 42 days this season if he’s recalled to the majors before Sept. 9 (if a player is recalled within 20 days of being optioned, the intervening service time is restored).     So, if he’s recalled before Sept. 9, he’ll almost surely qualify as a super-2 and be eligible for arbitration next year.    If he’s recalled after Sept. 9, he almost surely won’t qualify, as he’d accrue 22 days or less the remainder of this season.  The Tides’ last game is Sept. 3 unless they make the playoffs.   They’re one game out of the wild card spot right now.   So, the O’s could have an interesting decision to make regarding whether and when to recall Rickard.   In the past, they’ve played this pretty straight and not tried to manipulate players’ service time, so my bet is he’ll get recalled in time to get his service time restored and will be arbitration eligible next spring.  

Archived