John Andreoli Claimed from and by Seattle

weams

Don't ask me why but something about the Orioles claim of John Andreoli yesterday made me want to dig deeper about him. Quotes like DiPoto Mariners GM recently saying he deserves to  be playing with them. Prior to the Mariners getting him from the Cubs organization Maddon saying he would like to add him due to his skills. One person said he is an anti-Oriole. High OBP, good speed guy with an above average arm and good BA.  Some are saying if given a chance could be a starter right now. This came out of Seattle. Disappointed they let him get away. Some are saying he is ready right now. Was hitting ,287 with a .397 OBP.  Better than Gentry but similar style defensive player. DD may have gotten a better than advertised OF for the Orioles. What I found interesting reading about him from Seattle and Cubs people is they all like him.  Unusual to have no negative comments.  These teams are winners and know how to evaluate talent.  Will we see him soon?  He was sent to Norfolk. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Playing time with the O's in going to be hard to come by  for  Andreoli in the majors.   Yes the O's can bring him up in September if they want a look.   But Mancini, Mullins and Jones  are going to get the majority of starts in the outfield.  

Hays is starting to hit, is on the major league roster and will probably be called up in Sept.  He offers everything that Andreoli offers plus power and he is much younger.

Rickard did in the International League everything that Andreoli did in the Pacific Coast League.  The PCL is a hitters league.   Its harder to do what Joey did in the International League.  Rickard has major league experience and a year younger than Andreoli.   

To say that Andreoli could replace the older Gentry is not saying a lot.  Gentry in a DFA candidate that the O's may find a way to keep the rest of the year or they could trade him for next to enough or DFA him.    He has no long term future with the O's.

Bottom line: Andreoli well see sometime in AAA.  He may get a call up and look with the O's as a defensive replacement in the outfield in September.   At 28 he will be hard to keep on the major league roster over the winter.  He could compete with Rickard for a roster spot behind Mancini, Mullins, Jones and Hays. But there will not be a lot of playing time.   Jones is leaving after the season but Stewart needs to be added to the 40 man either in September or the off season.

6 minutes ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

Just a small note: Joey will be 1st year arbitration going into 2019. If as some say they will cut payroll, I could see Joey traded this winter.

What does a reserve  outfielder that spent a month at AAA make in arbitration?  Maybe 1M?

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Playing time with the O's in going to be hard to come by  for  Andreoli in the majors.   Yes the O's can bring him up in September if they want a look.   But Mancini, Mullins and Jones  are going to get the majority of starts in the outfield.  

Hays is starting to hit, is on the major league roster and will probably be called up in Sept.  He offers everything that Andreoli offers plus power and he is much younger.

Rickard did in the International League everything that Andreoli did in the Pacific Coast League.  The PCL is a hitters league.   Its harder to do what Joey did in the International League.  Rickard has major league experience and a year younger than Andreoli.   

To say that Andreoli could replace the older Gentry is not saying a lot.  Gentry in a DFA candidate that the O's may find a way to keep the rest of the year or they could trade him for next to enough or DFA him.    He has no long term future with the O's.

Bottom line: Andreoli well see sometime in AAA.  He may get a call up and look with the O's as a defensive replacement in the outfield in September.   At 28 he will be hard to keep on the major league roster over the winter.  He could compete with Rickard for a roster spot behind Mancini, Mullins, Jones and Hays. But there will not be a lot of playing time.   Jones is leaving after the season but Stewart needs to be added to the 40 man either in September or the off season.

I'd rather him getting games than Rickard in Baltimore. 

25 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

As I said I think he can compete with Rickard in Sept as a defensive OFer.   I doubt if both stay on the 40 man roster over the winter.    I am guessing you have not seen Andreoli play yet.   He has spent the last 4 years in the PCL which  is a hitter league.   His numbers may in inflated compared to the majors.

29 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

At age 24:
Rickard had an .874 OPS split between three levels in the minors.
Andreoli had a .578 in AA.

At age 25:
Rickard was taken as a Rule 5er by the Orioles and had a .696 OPS in the Majors.
Andreoli logged a .773 OPS in the Pacific Coast League, 8th best among regulars on the Iowa Cubs.  His teammate Taylor Teagarden out hit him by 50 points.

At age 26:
Rickard played, although poorly, in his second year in the Majors.
Andreoli repeated AAA in he PCL and OPS'd .770, three points lower than the preceding year, and good for 6th on a 67-76 team.

At age 27:
Rickard had a .700 OPS in the majors, and an .860 in notoriously pitcher-friendly Norfolk.
Andreoli hit .244 with a .783 OPS in his third stint in AAA Iowa.

At age 28:
Rickard isn't 28 yet.
Andreoli had a .798 OPS in his fourth round in the PCL.

I think the evidence that Andreoli is better than Rickard is scant, and mainly confined to the fact that he has less service time and therefore would be cheaper.

I do not think that Joey Rickard will acquire the three years worth of service time that would make him arbitration eligible.  At the start of 2018 he had 1 Year and 168 Days.  He would have had to been on the 25 man roster for the entire year to get the required Service Time.  He has been at Norfolk for at least 55 days this year which would reduce him to less than the 172 days needed.

56 minutes ago, wildcard said:

As I said I think he can compete with Rickard in Sept as a defensive OFer.   I doubt if both stay on the 40 man roster over the winter.    I am guessing you have not seen Andreoli play yet.   He has spent the last 4 years in the PCL which  is a hitter league.   His numbers may in inflated compared to the majors.

I don't know for sure if he was playing when the Iowa Cubs played the Round Rock Express when I went to some games. PCL numbers mean that anyone whose minor league was part of the PCL their numbers don't mean squat? 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

At age 24:

At age 25:
Rickard was taken as a Rule 5er by the Orioles and had a .696 OPS in the Majors.
Andreoli logged a .773 OPS in the Pacific Coast League, 8th best among regulars on the Iowa Cubs.  His teammate Taylor Teagarden out hit him by 50 points.

At age 26:
Andreoli repeated AAA in he PCL and OPS'd .770, three points lower than the preceding year, and good for 6th on a 67-76 team.

At age 27:
Rickard had a .700 OPS in the majors, and an .860 in notoriously pitcher-friendly Norfolk.

At age 28:
Rickard isn't 28 yet.

I think the evidence that Andreoli is better than Rickard is scant, and mainly confined to the fact that he has less service time and therefore would be cheaper.

And gets on base at an extremely high level. And maybe not quite so one sided as Joey. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

At age 24:

At age 25:

At age 26:

At age 27:

At age 28:
Rickard isn't 28 yet.

BTW, we miss you. 

8 hours ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

Just a small note: Joey will be 1st year arbitration going into 2019. If as some say they will cut payroll, I could see Joey traded this winter.

Who is going to give up anything for an artbitraition-eligible ricard?

I see Joey being non-tendered this year.   If it is a trade, it will be less than we got for Jim Johnson.

On 8/18/2018 at 2:45 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He has 6 career games in the majors and is 28. He has speed.

Going to Norfolk tells me either Rickard is in trouble (as either Rickard or Gentry have to go when Jones comes back, and Rickard has options), Gentry is on the waiver wire or will be DFA'ed Monday, or we can see another Norfolk outfielder (Stewart, Yaz, Brugman) up soon and this is a little more depth.

I think option 2, but Gentry is a Buck guy, so...

Baseballs Trung Canidate.

Archived