Luke Scott to the Mets?

Baltimore_Bob

I like Scott, I think he's still improving. With the addition of Teixeira this offseason, he'd be perfect in the 7 hole or so. Don't think anyone would give us enough for him to be able to trade him. Plus I'd rather see Reimold play in the majors for a bit before getting rid of Scott. They can have Payton though!

I hope he's still improving because he can't get much worse. Ty Wigginton tagged and scored easily on a fly ball to Scott. One of the Rangers tagged and went from second to third against him. He's a liability in left field, too streaky a hitter, and doesn't hit lefties. Like many hitters, he can make a pitcher pay for a mistake but good pitching will get him out with little problem.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope he's still improving because he can't get much worse. Ty Wigginton tagged and scored easily on a fly ball to Scott. One of the Rangers tagged and went from second to third against him. He's a liability in left field, too streaky a hitter, and doesn't hit lefties. Like many hitters, he can make a pitcher pay for a mistake but good pitching will get him out with little problem.

Yeah...that 808 OPS is KILLING us. :rolleyes:

Little late to this thread, but thought I'd chime in with the perspective of a Mets fan who follows the system pretty closely.

The prospects that the Mets would be using to get an outfielder are probably some combination of Jon Niese, Nick Evans, Mike Carp, and Dan Murphy. They're all in AA and doing well. (Well Evans is in the majors now, but he'll be going back shortly.) Niese is a 21-year old lefty who reportedly has scouts from over 10 different teams at his starts now. Evans and Carp are both 22-year old 1st basemen and Evans can play OF as well. Murphy is a polished college hitter who the Mets moved from 3rd to 2nd base a few weeks ago.

Another player the Mets could use is Ruben Tejada, an 18 year old shortstop. Though I don't know if other teams value him at all because his numbers are so bad right now. His glove is ahead of his bat. The Mets like to put players in over their head and force them to adjust, hence the bad numbers.

Maybe there's nothing here that works for you guys, but this is what the Mets are looking to trade. I like Scott, always felt he was under appreciated in Houston. Not sure he fits the Mets plans though, they seem to want a RH hitter and only really need a rental because Fernando Martinez is going to get thrown in the fire next year, ready or not.

Wilmer Flores really is 16 by the way, that's not a typo. He's someone you'll be hearing a lot about soon.

Archived