When will the Orioles Announce hirings?

Bahama O's Fan

Just now, jrobb21613 said:

The guy I’d like to see get an interview is Tony La Russa. Currently, He's currently vice president and special assistant to Dave Dombrowski, president of baseball operations for the Boston Red Sox. At 73 he might be to old. However I think he would be a good choice.

Make sure he hires a driver.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

The guy I’d like to see get an interview is Tony La Russa. Currently, He's currently vice president and special assistant to Dave Dombrowski, president of baseball operations for the Boston Red Sox. At 73 he might be to old. However I think he would be a good choice.

Why? What does La Russa do for the RS? He would bring some value in that he comes from and presumably has learned from what seems to be a very good organization. But that's true of lots of other guys. I think a "celebrity" GM, and probably highly-paid guy, is not the direction in which this team should be going.

35 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Why? What does La Russa do for the RS? He would bring some value in that he comes from and presumably has learned from what seems to be a very good organization. But that's true of lots of other guys. I think a "celebrity" GM, and probably highly-paid guy, is not the direction in which this team should be going.

I admire him and that alone makes him a great choice!

I hate LaRussa with a passion like the burning of a million suns.

As an officer of the court (an attorney) he stood by while his employees broke the law on a continuing basis.  As a manipulator of bullpens, he is personally responsible for the pace of play issues.

And, I think he kicked a puppy once.

19 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I hate LaRussa with a passion like the burning of a million suns.

As an officer of the court (an attorney) he stood by while his employees broke the law on a continuing basis.  As a manipulator of bullpens, he is personally responsible for the pace of play issues.

And, I think he kicked a puppy once.

Don't forget the time he was passed out behind the wheel at a stop.

Mark Shapiro

He is perhaps the most intriguing name on the list, especially given his present position. The architect of the Cleveland Indians team that has dominated the American League's weak Central Division for the last few years, Shapiro has been president and CEO of the Toronto Blue Jays for the last three years. But there have been whispers throughout the industry that he could be ready for a trip south of the border.

The interesting aspect here is Shapiro made the move to Toronto almost a year after the Blue Jays had flirted with Dan Duquette, the recently deposed executive vice president of baseball operations with the Orioles. The Jays were rebuffed when the Orioles determined they weren't being offered enough in terms of compensation. If compensation would have to be a factor in this case, chances of luring Shapiro would probably be an obstacle too big to overcome.

16 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

Tony La Russa would be awful.  I'd rather just let Buck be GM if La Russa is the choice, and that's saying a lot because Buck would be a terrible GM.  

This thread is too damn funny.

We kicked DD to the curb, because he couldnt get the job done, and most posters were elated he was gone.

Now, they bring up all these names as good candidates.

Seriously?

La Russa? He is old and very old school. I thought we needed a fresh young analytic mind?

Archived