When will the Orioles Announce hirings?

Bahama O's Fan

A huge difficulty with relocating a franchise is that other than Montreal, what city has a stadium with a large enough attendance capacity to accommodate a major league team?  Olympic Stadium in Montreal is 40 years old.  The largest AAA stadium in the country is 16,907 in Buffalo.  If a team relocates, they will take a financial bath based upon lack of attendance for 2 to 4 years waiting for the stadium to be built. 

Would moving to Montreal with their decrepit stadium be any better than the situation in Baltimore? 

The Orioles are not going anywhere, eventually MLB will expand and add two teams in new cities.  The only wildcard is what to do about the Rays and the A's, their situations are bad, they very well could relocate and play in a minor league stadium waiting for a new stadium to be built.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

Stros fan. Live in Texas. Family in Houston.  O's fan first though. The O's won't make the playoffs for years. I don't see the GM and Manager of O's being around when the team does make the playoffs. 

Jeff Luhnow became GM on the Astros on Dec 7, 2011.

The Astros lost 107 in 2012, 111 in 2013,   92 in 2014.   Three years of losing big.   Are you saying that the Astros made a mistake in hiring him when they were years away from winning. 

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The Astros lost 107 in 2012, 111 in 2013,   92 in 2014.   Three years of losing big.   Are you saying that the Astros made a mistake in hiring him when they were years away from winning. 

I think GM’s are one thing, managers are another.    The sooner we get a good GM in here, the better.    We need a rebuilding plan right away.   As to the manager, I’d like to see a first-time guy who has a chance of proving himself but doesn’t cost a lot of money.   

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

All I'm saying is the Stros are successful and I'd rather keep things the way they are with the Stros. I want the O's to be successful but they are a long way off. Plus they have to play the damn cheating ass BoSox and Yankees. 

8 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

All I'm saying is the Stros are successful and I'd rather keep things the way they are with the Stros. I want the O's to be successful but they are a long way off. Plus they have to play the damn cheating ass BoSox and Yankees. 

Kettle,  meet pot. Pot, this is Kettle:   https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/10/18/17994256/astros-cheating-spying-red-sox-indians-mlb-playoffs-2018

Sorry to give you a hard time.  It's funny what fans turn a blind eye to. Same goes for the Manny love around here. I love the kid, but that was an Arod-level douche move he pulled.  He deserves the backlash. 

3 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

Kettle,  meet pot. Pot, this is Kettle:   https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/10/18/17994256/astros-cheating-spying-red-sox-indians-mlb-playoffs-2018

Sorry to give you a hard time.  It's funny what fans turn a blind eye to. Same goes for the Manny love around here. I love the kid, but that was an Arod-level douche move he pulled.  He deserves the backlash. 

The league decided that the Astros didn't do anything wrong.

21 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I would not be surprised  if Elias goes to the Giants.   They probably get first pick.

20 minutes ago, baltfan said:

https://fancredsports.com/articles/jon-heyman-kim-ng-a-serious-candidate-for-oriole

Ng and Cherington info. 

Inwoukd be good with either choice. 

I don't like either one.

Ng has never run a scouting organization nor a player development organization.  She has not really been in an organization that did a rebuild for the ground up.    The expertise that I have read about her doing in salary arbitration and analytics.  She is analytical and well respected.   But she is not as qualified as other possible candidates to lead the O's rebuild IMO

Cherington made some very expensive missteps when is was the GM of the Red Sox.   Signing Pablo Sandoval and Handley Ramirez does not look good in his resume.    The O's can not afford those kind of mistakes.    The Red Sox are one the richest teams in the MLB.  The O's will not have those kind of resources.   I do not see him as a fit for the O's rebuild.

Archived