When will the Orioles Announce hirings?

Bahama O's Fan

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

If Houston is a model for a rebuild then it is worth taking note that Jeff Luhnow was hired as GM  on December 7th.   Take the time needed to get it right is the correct approach IMO.

Very valid point.   

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, wildcard said:

If Houston is a model for a rebuild then it is worth taking note that Jeff Luhnow was hired as GM  on December 7th.   Take the time needed to get it right is the correct approach IMO.

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Very valid point.   

On the other hand, Luhnow’s predecessor wasn’t even fired until Nov. 28.    So, it took the Astros less than ten days to hire a replacement.    

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

On the other hand, Luhnow’s predecessor wasn’t even fired until Nov. 28.    So, it took the Astros less than ten days to hire a replacement.    

Yes, but the part missing here is that the Astros were sold on Nov. 26 (when the deal was approved by MLB) in a deal that was announced on Nov. 18. I'm sure new owner Jim Crane talked to Luhnow and other candidates before Nov. 26 and probably even before Nov. 18.

1 minute ago, TGO said:

Yes, but the part missing here is that the Astros were sold on Nov. 26 (when the deal was approved by MLB) in a deal that was announced on Nov. 18. I'm sure new owner Jim Crane talked to Luhnow and other candidates before Nov. 26 and probably even before Nov. 18.

Could be.

1 hour ago, TGO said:

If you go back about eight posts, I have the Astros' 2011 chronology. Crane moved very quickly to get a President/GM team in place. Obviously the Orioles want to take enough time to make a thoughtful decision and be able to consider everyone who's worth considering, but the Angeloses have had plenty of time to ponder what to do if they weren't going to bring back Duquette. The Orioles should be further along in this process than they appear to be -- and maybe they are. (The real nightmare scenario is that this decision(s) has to be run by and approved by Peter Angelos, in which case we may not have a President, GM or manager until March.)

What difference does it make? One or two people are going to come in from outside the organization. They have lots of pieces of that organization --  playing talent, minor league managing and coaching, amateur scouting, professional scouting, international scouting, analytics, strength and conditioning -- to look at closely and evaluate. It's acknowledged that they need to augment some of them. in addition, they need to consider and hire a manager. There are looming decisions about whether to cut loose Beckham, Joseph and a few others, and whether to bring in a shortstop. Trade opportunities will be coming soon -- will recommendations come from existing scouts or new ones? The new hires have to recommend to the Angeloses what things to spend on, and how much, and get their approval -- that process alone may take months. They have to get to know the abilities of hundreds of players and dozens of non-players, decide whom to keep and whom to shed, whom to hire, etc., etc., etc. Those decisions shouldn't be rushed, either, but they need to get started to get things on track for improving this mess of a baseball team.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd feel surprised that they were willing to spend the kind of money those three would cost.

I would be very, very happy.  I don’t even need Ausmus.  Give me the first two and they can hire Mike Bordick for all I care. 

Archived