Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Geeze, Roch learns stuff in confidence, by not running his mouth, and people dont respect that.

Too much hate here on these boards, crazy.

No Can, that was not directed at you.

I don't know about hate, but I got a lot of dislike in me.  ?

Roch is fine, he's doing the job his employer wants him to do.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

It's been years since I quoted him.  Years.  He hasn't spoken much with the press in a long time.  The last time I recall was in the locker room during the 2014 playoffs.

This quote goes back to September 2005

After that blew up in his face, the next year he told Pressbox

https://www.pressboxonline.com/story/738/the-last-laugh-q-a-with-peter-angelos

https://twitter.com/danconnolly2016/status/1063513190053675013

W/r/t expectations, some here have pointed out they don't expect a miracle worker. I don't either. He can certainly make bad picks, get victimized by injury or make some trades/signings that inhibit success. He will also be replacing a lot of people who really do try hard at their jobs. This won't be a zero sum gain.

However, I do think the transformation into a modern type of organization is virtually certain to occur, and that is the next best thing to a miracle IMO. The O's needed to get with the times, and this regime will accomplish that. Even if they don't work out, we'll be moving from a better baseline than how things have been run here under PGA.

I cannot overstate how awesome I think Elias' hiring is for the Orioles.

Love, love, love this. 

This is an excerpt from an email I wrote to John Angelos on October 2nd...

We need a difference-maker to take the helm... again, a leader.  We need our own Theo Epstein or Brian Cashman or Jeff Luhnow.  We need a person that everyone looks to as the face of the franchise… the undisputed boss. Perennial contention should take at least a few years and maybe more… that’s how bad things are.  However, backed by an ownership pledge of non-interference, the right hire can implement their vision and secure for us a strong and smartly-run franchise in due time. That’s all that most fans want… something and someone to believe in. 

Kudos to John and Lou for a job well-done.

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

O.K., now that it's O-fficial, was all the anxiety and handwringing about the process worth it?   Big picture, does it make a difference that the decision and the announcement is now instead of 2-3 weeks ago?  #AskingForAFriend

I was waiting to see who was going to make that post. I didn't have you in my top 5! :D

Archived