TT: Dillon Tate added to the 40-man

Tony-OH

In Elias' first move as GM, Dillon Tate was added to the 40-man roster in order to protect him from the Rule 5 draft in December. INF Engelb Vielma was designated for assignment. We have Tate as the #17 prospect in the organization but there is some upside to him as well. It will be interesting to see how Elias wants Tate to be developed. Myself, and several other scouts and observers believe his best role in the majors will be a reliever so it will be interesting to see if Elias is in agreement if the Orioles continue to develop him a starter.

Vielma is a dime a dozen light hitting utility guy who was always a head scratcher when it came to being added to the 40-man by Duquette. I'd be surprised if he's resigned to a minor league deal by the Orioles.

I'd probably give Tate one more season as a starter.   If this were a contending team I might be in a rush to move him to the bullpen in the hopes he could come up at midseason and help the big league club.   But in the state we're in, I'd just see how he progresses this year.

Also, is the GM likely to get involved in decisions like that?   I would not think so.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'd probably give Tate one more season as a starter.   If this were a contending team I might be in a rush to move him to the bullpen in the hopes he could come up at midseason and help the big league club.   But in the state we're in, I'd just see how he progresses this year.

Also, is the GM likely to get involved in decisions like that?   I would not think so.

Remains to be seen I think. He did mention getting involved in Chris Davis' offseason work. I take that to mean he is going to get with his data people and scouts and determine how to rebuild the goofus' swing, if he'll listen/stick with it (doubtful). I could see him doing the same thing with Tate - delegating his team and then making a call. Something like that?

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Remains to be seen I think. He did mention getting involved in Chris Davis' offseason work. I take that to mean he is going to get with his data people and scouts and determine how to rebuild the goofus' swing, if he'll listen/stick with it (doubtful). I could see him doing the same thing with Tate - delegating his team and then making a call. Something like that?

The guys like Tate and Beckham that have the tools but haven’t reached their potential might be the ones that benefit most from an analytists based front office.

1 minute ago, VaBird1 said:

The guys like Tate and Beckham that have the tools but haven’t reached their potential might be the ones that benefit most from an analytists based front office.

Maybe. Some guys are just gonna be bad though, so I would caution folks against thinking Elias is going to magic-wand everyone with data and make them good. I've had to catch my own self from starting to think that. His methods WILL fix a couple guys I think, but more importantly, they will be fixing guys while they are in the low minors. And even MORE importantly, they'll be picking the right guys in the draft based on better data. Fixing someone at the ML level is a last resort. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

Beckham will be  29 in January with a projected 4.75m salary and Tate will be 25 in May, has options and will be on a minor league salary of maybe 200-300K.    While neither has played to their potential there is a big difference in whether they can reach that potential.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Maybe. Some guys are just gonna be bad though, so I would caution folks against thinking Elias is going to magic-wand everyone with data and make them good. I've had to catch my own self from starting to think that. His methods WILL fix a couple guys I think, but more importantly, they will be fixing guys while they are in the low minors. And even MORE importantly, they'll be picking the right guys in the draft based on better data. Fixing someone at the ML level is a last resort. 

I think this is a really important point - I love the Elias hire and certainly understand the optimism about what some analytic information can do to help some of our ballplayers.  But he and the new management team is not going to be able to come in and magically fix everybody.  I think yours is a great point about hopefully seeing impact in the minors, as kids develop, more so than flicking a switch with some of our perennial underperformers. 

Bottom line: hopefully the new team is able to get the most out of guys...that clearly wasn't happening often enough under previous management.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Elias is going to be very hands on initially until he can evaluate the current directors, coaches, and players. He is bringing in a development system as well so I think we will see guys handled differently. 

• Upvote 1

Elias can't make all superstars for sure.

I'm more hopeful of a guy like David, because it was once there.

Beckham came from a stronger analytics team and it's been missing more than not.  

At least that's what I tell myself with the monster contract of one and the other that's easier removed....

14 hours ago, wildcard said:

Beckham will be  29 in January with a projected 4.75m salary and Tate will be 25 in May, has options and will be on a minor league salary of maybe 200-300K.    While neither has played to their potential there is a big difference in whether they can reach that potential.

Plus Beckham came from TB, who is no stranger to analytics AND developing players. I get the feeling that Beckham is just not open to it. He was so touted, high draft pick (one-one pick I think?) that he kind of expected to just be a star. JMO.

I think he gets non-tendered for sure. He's not near good enough a SS or hitter to keep at that price.

14 hours ago, wildcard said:

First time on 40 man roster, the minor league salary is $44,500.

• Upvote 1