Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

On 6/4/2019 at 5:10 PM, mdbdotcom said:

I didn't realize "this site" was supposed to have a collective opinion or that in this age there was such a thing as an "acceptable batting average."

.230 - With an .800 OPS and not for a SSS. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

But Broxton is better than Mullins was supposed to be...

Broxton wasn’t on the team in February. I suspect you wouldn’t have seen that post if he was on the team. I just wasn’t excited to watch Joey Rickard play replacement to slightly below replacement level baseball for the third straight season.

• Upvote 1

On 6/4/2019 at 4:57 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I don't look at batting average except in passing.  I'm more worried about wOBA.

I mean if a guy can hit for power and get on base, do we really care how many singles he hits?  If a guy hits a ton of singles but has no power and doesn't walk should we be impressed with his 320 BA?

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I guess that depends on what else he does.  You basically described Ichiro.  

33 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Also Tony Gwynn who only had one season when he drew more than 60 walks and had a career ISO of .121. 

Gwynn: .338/.388/.459, 132 OPS+

Ichiro: .311/.355/.402, 107 OPS+

Alberto (2019): .303/.320/.388, 91 OPS+

They are not really very similar.   Also, with Ichiro you sort of have to adjust for the fact that he hung around into his mid-40’s.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gwynn: .338/.388/.459, 132 OPS+

Ichiro: .311/.355/.402, 107 OPS+

Alberto (2019): .303/.320/.388, 91 OPS+

They are not really very similar.   Also, with Ichiro you sort of have to adjust for the fact that he hung around into his mid-40’s.

Related question: would you rather have a modern baseball 91 OPS+, say 2015/17 Chris Davis with a .200/.300/.420 line, or a 91 OPS+ throwback Alberto line of .303/.330/.390?  I think I'd take Alberto, even if the production is roughly equal.  More action, less standing and watching and walking around.

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Related question: would you rather have a modern baseball 91 OPS+, say 2015/17 Chris Davis with a .200/.300/.420 line, or a 91 OPS+ throwback Alberto line of .303/.330/.390?  I think I'd take Alberto, even if the production is roughly equal.  More action, less standing and watching and walking around.

I think you can look at this two ways:

1.    Which is more aesthetically pleasing and fun to watch?   I’d have to go with Alberto there.   

2.   Which is likely to generate more runs?   Alberto wins again, since OBP>SLG in a properly weighted wOBA type analysis, and H/PA should be weighted more heavily than BB/PA in that same analysis.   

So, in that example, no question I’d go with the Alberto line.   

Now, if the example had been jiggered in such a way that one was more aesthetically pleasing but the other yielded more runs, I’d have gone with the latter.    It’s all about runs, baby.   

10 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

It seems a bit unfortunate that Sisco would hit his double right after the draft. Maybe we can let Adley go unsigned & give Gunnar 8 million overs lot. We could have had Bledlay or Priester — Sisco isn’t an OF or SP, this should have been obvious.

giphy.gif

Everyone thinking what I'm thinking?  Yup... Severino at SS and Sisco at 2B.  

• Haha 1

o

(vs. ASTROS, 6/07)

NUMBER 1

CHANCTHOMALEO SISCO

CHANCTHOMALEO SISCO

CHANCTHOMALEO SISCO

CHANCTHOMALEO SISCO

CHANCTHOMALEO SISCO

CHANCTHOMALEO SISCO

CHANCTHOMALEO SISCO

o