O’s claim 3B Rio Ruiz

Frobby

• 10 months later...

Every homer he hits is more evidence that he made an adjustment in the middle of last season that has permanently boosted his power.   The second-half-of-2019 Ruiz is a viable major league player, something I would not have said in the first half of last season.  I'd like to see him get some chances against LHP (he sat in favor of Valaika against Martin Perez on Saturday).  

8 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

This move turned out to be a substantial net gain.  ?

Meisinger was worth -0.1 WAR with the Orioles in 2018 and never has pitched int he majors since.

Ruiz has been worth -0.2 WAR with the Orioles so not sure we can say this has worked out even though losing Meisinger was no loss.

He had a nice return from the minors last year and is off to a good start through three games. The jury is still out though on Ruiz.

His last 150ish at bats have been interesting.

Over those at bats, his OPS is 800ish.  He walked at a high rate in the second half of the year last year, so the difference between his OBp and BA was pretty solid.  The problem is, his BA was poor, usually in the low 200s.  He also saw his K% go down.

Where you saw such a drop was in his BABiP.  That was 235 in the second half of last year, which was almost 60 points lower than the first half.  Of course, his BA was still only in the 230s in the first half of the year.  

Where the huge improvement has been is in his power.  His ISO jumped from below 100 to well over 200 between the 2 halves and, of course, we see the 2 early homers this year.

For a guy that walks at a pretty decent rate and is starting to show power, if he can get his BA into the 250 range, he could become a useful player.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Seems to me that the best we can hope from Ruiz is 15-20 home runs, .270/.330/.450. 

I'd take a .780 OPS from our 26-year old 3B making the league minimum.  Excited to watch Ruiz this season and see if he fits into a bigger picture...

3 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I'd take a .780 OPS from our 26-year old 3B making the league minimum.  Excited to watch Ruiz this season and see if he fits into a bigger picture...

I hope he does better! But his minor league numbers don’t suggest he will be any better than that long term. I’d expect him to be here until we have something better. I’d keep him through his controlled season and hope to have another alternative as he nears free agency. Who knows.... he might outperform his minor league numbers.

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Seems to me that the best we can hope from Ruiz is 15-20 home runs, .270/.330/.450. 

Vlad Jr. hit .272/.339/.433 with 15 homers and poor defense mostly at 3rd with some DHing, was worth 1.5 bWAR and 0.4 fWAR, so that shows a base value for that line. I can't really get a handle on how good Ruiz's defense is, last year BR thought it was a negative but fangraphs a positive. Ruiz was actually worth 0.4 fWAR as well batting only .232/.306/.376 so of course his defense was way better than Vlad's in their eyes. If he can get to that line he may be around a 2 WAR guy which would be great for a waiver claim to become.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, makoman said:

Vlad Jr. hit .272/.339/.433 with 15 homers and poor defense mostly at 3rd with some DHing, was worth 1.5 bWAR and 0.4 fWAR, so that shows a base value for that line. I can't really get a handle on how good Ruiz's defense is, last year BR thought it was a negative but fangraphs a positive. Ruiz was actually worth 0.4 fWAR as well batting only .232/.306/.376 so of course his defense was way better than Vlad's in their eyes. If he can get to that line he may be around a 2 WAR guy which would be great for a waiver claim to become.

Good stuff - but I will await @DrungoHazewood's attempt to twiddle bits.

1 hour ago, TommyPickles said:

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Right?  Those numbers aren't outstanding, but when you consider that he's regarded as a good glove at 3rd, I'll take it.

• Upvote 2