Wieters and Rutschman

Just Regular

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Matt only had 10 HR with a 1.072 OPS through 57 games.  What a loser.

Adley has 8 HR so far through 25 games........with an OPS over 1.300.

Thanks Mr. Corn.

NP.  I'm an excellent googler.

What is remarkable about Matt in college is how similar his numbers were.

3 hours ago, Aglets said:

How does his last college season compare with what Wieters did?

He's been notably better thus far (1.368 OPS vs 1.072 OPS), he's walking 30% of his ABs, which tells you how much opposing pitchers respect him. 

What will his walks turn into at the MiL or ML level? Are they just avoiding him or is he selective? He certainly is going to be challenged more in the pros. He seems like a great #1, however the old question is do you let the position wear him down prematurely? Where else can he play?

2 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

What will his walks turn into at the MiL or ML level? Are they just avoiding him or is he selective? He certainly is going to be challenged more in the pros. He seems like a great #1, however the old question is do you let the position wear him down prematurely? Where else can he play?

Who cares?  Let the next team he plays for deal with it.

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who cares?  Let the next team he plays for deal with it.

I think it's worth asking are elite catching prospects less likely to have productive big league careers than other elite positional prospects? I googled and didn't find a ton of studies, but here is one: https://www.royalsreview.com/2011/2/14/1992424/success-and-failure-rates-of-top-mlb-prospects. This study suggests that catchers are slightly more likely than some other positions to make it to the bigs, but less likely to be superior players. It would be interesting to see what the analyses of ML teams look like by position. 

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think it's worth asking are elite catching prospects less likely to have productive big league careers than other elite positional prospects? I googled and didn't find a ton of studies, but here is one: https://www.royalsreview.com/2011/2/14/1992424/success-and-failure-rates-of-top-mlb-prospects. This study suggests that catchers are slightly more likely than some other positions to make it to the bigs, but less likely to be superior players. It would be interesting to see what the analyses of ML teams look like by position. 

I didn't read the comment I responded to as let's move him off catcher (which I think would be a terrible idea) as much as where else can be play to limit the wear and tear of catching.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't read the comment I responded to as let's move him off catcher (which I think would be a terrible idea) as much as where else can be play to limit the wear and tear of catching.

I hear you. I'm not advocating anything. The back-and-forth just made me wonder if there are position differences in the probability of a prospect becoming a successful major league player. A quick search suggests maybe.

I would certainly play Rutschman at catcher as long as possible if I drafted him at catcher. 

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I hear you. I'm not advocating anything. The back-and-forth just made me wonder if there are position differences in the probability of a prospect becoming a successful major league player. A quick search suggests maybe.

I would certainly play Rutschman at catcher as long as possible if I drafted him at catcher. 

I'd certainly look at the data if someone did the work.

4 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

The easy answer...no need to think. Expected more, but shouldn't have.

Why unnecessarily complicate matters?

Why get cute putting him in the outfield or third base?

You want to give him a breather you put him at DH for a game.  Maybe first.

Sometimes simple is best.

He's a college catcher, odds are good you are not going to be wanting him under contact when his time under team control is over.

Archived