Wieters and Rutschman

Just Regular

On 2/14/2019 at 4:50 AM, Luke-OH said:

At the risk of furthering hype, here is a quote from Paul Mainieri (Rutschman's manager on the USA Collegiate National Team and also the head coach of the dominant LSU baseball program).

“I’ll say this — I’ve had some great catchers throughout the years, but Rutschman is clearly a cut above everyone I’ve ever seen as a coach,” Mainieri said. “He’s such the total package. He hits from both sides equally well, he hits with power and does so with ease with two strikes and he has a great eye at the plate. He’s a clutch hitter and he’s a smarter hitter. He’s also a tremendous receiver. I mean, he’s out there throwing 1.85’s to second baes in games. He’s so good.

“You see it with his leadership, too. He comes in the dugout and stands right next to you. He wants to talk about how to pitch the next guy and so on. As a coach, you don’t want to necessarily stand next to your catcher all the time, but God, you talk to him and stand next to him and you can’t help but to be captivated by him. He looks every bit of a 1-1 guy in the draft for me, and I can’t imagine myself as a general manager passing on him.”

https://d1baseball.com/notebook/usa-baseball-collegiate-summer-wrap/

I was reading something, and I've heard this from a couple places, that he's Posey with more power, and the most locked-in offensive prospect since Bryce Harper.  I've also heard that there might be prospect fatigue around Witt, too.  I'm sure the decision isn't finalized yet.  

12 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I was reading something, and I've heard this from a couple places, that he's Posey with more power, and the most locked-in offensive prospect since Bryce Harper.  I've also heard that there might be prospect fatigue around Witt, too.  I'm sure the decision isn't finalized yet.  

But, you know, a switch hitter.

48 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Not finalized and not down to just those two. Who knows who breaks out among the elite HS prospects or other toolsy college position players, but Rutschman is in a tier of his own at the moment and that’s not a particularly bold statement.

• Upvote 2

On 2/15/2019 at 4:41 PM, eddie83 said:

Rutschman needs to step up.....  0-2 today so far with 2 K’s. Just struck out with bases loaded. Has walked.

Ended the weekend at .444/.643/1.111, 2 homers and 6 RBI in 3 games.   Did he step up enough for you?

I’m sure the guy will have some off-games, everybody does.    But he certainly whetted my appetite this weekend.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Ended the weekend at .444/.643/1.111, 2 homers and 6 RBI in 3 games.   Did he step up enough for you?

I’m sure the guy will have some off-games, everybody does.    But he certainly whetted my appetite this weekend.   

Yes, he did. I hope you realize it was sarcasm. 

I think it will be hard to not take him. He has a very athletic look to him beyond his numbers. I’m curious if he is someone that will be a good enough hitter to move off catcher if it is necessary like a Mauer.  

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Yes, he did. I hope you realize it was sarcasm. 

I think it will be hard to not take him. He has a very athletic look to him beyond his numbers. I’m curious if he is someone that will be a good enough hitter to move off catcher if it is necessary like a Mauer.  

Let the next team down the line worry about that.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll say what I said about Wieters when he wasn't in the majors yet.

Catch him into the ground and let someone else pay for the decline.

How useful was Mauer after he moved off catcher?

All true. I was talking along the lines of 10 years instead of 6. Wieters, perhaps due slightly to wear and tear of position never was a dominant hitter either. He was good for a catcher, don’t get me wrong. 

13 hours ago, eddie83 said:

All true. I was talking along the lines of 10 years instead of 6. Wieters, perhaps due slightly to wear and tear of position never was a dominant hitter either. He was good for a catcher, don’t get me wrong. 

I never really liked that wear and tear excuse.    There have been many catchers who had the same wear and tear but were much better hitters than Wieters turned out to be.    And mind you, I’m not really complaining about how Wieters turned out for us.