MLB and Union talk major rule changes

Diehard_O's_Fan

2 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

I thought of that too. Hey, they don't like teams sucking for too long. I feel the same, and I never used to like the idea of "rebuilding." Mainly because I didn't trust anyone in the front office to handle it right.

Now I think we have THE front office team to handle it. And I want them to not worry about wins and losses this year, but build something wisely... something lasting.

So I wouldn't want to see an artificial "cattle prod" entering the equation. 

Also, there's something worse for baseball than a team losing 100 games two years in a row. 

And that is: a team losing 80 games every year... forever. And that's what this rule could trigger, as teams like the O's try TOO SOON to be competitive, rather than building a fundamentally sound, long-term program. 

Yep, been there done that.   I'm more than willing to try to do it differently this time around.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Isn't Houston the 4th largest city in the nation, and the largest that has just one MLB team?

I don't know. Even though I have family in Houston I've never spent more than a few hours there. Way too big for me. I grew up in a town of under 10,000. Where I live now is in the country. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think they could have processed an order that size in 30 minutes.

Yeah, all the tickets were pre-printed and there was just one of each.

And they were color coded to match the seats at Memorial Stadium.

Upper deck pink, general admission gold, lower box green(?), terrace box blue(?).

It's been a while, anyone remember all the colors?

4 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Its not unusual at this stage of the off season, to not have a clear idea of who would be in the 4th and 5th slot. You dont even need the 5th slot until week 3 of the regular season.

Not really relevant to the thread, but this isn't correct. The Orioles will need a fifth starter for the 6th game of the season at the latest (April 2). That's part of a stretch in which they have six games in six days.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I absolutely love the thought of having a DH in the National League. That sure would make inter league play more fair for American League teams. It is also a safety thing when you have a pitcher batting for the first time in a year. There have been countless pitchers that have got hurt during inter league play.

If everyone has the DH, there is no point in a separate AL and NL.

12 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

If everyone has the DH, there is no point in a separate AL and NL.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure.

To me interleague play killed it.

All the major sports have various conferences, divisions etc. and tend to play the teams in their own division more often, don’t they?  But baseball’s the only sport where the rules vary.     It’s kind of stupid. I prefer the AL rule because I hate seeing pitchers hit, and I hate seeing teams walk the 8th place hitter to get to the pitcher when a 2-out rally occurs in the early innings.   

• Upvote 1

Wacky idea:  

Teams set a payroll,

Players are paid 100% of the payroll,

Players decide among themselves how to divide up said payroll,

Players sign with a team but their actual salary is determined by their peers.

Playoff shares are above and beyond regular season salary.

10 minutes ago, olddogger said:

Wacky idea:  

Teams set a payroll,

Players are paid 100% of the payroll,

Players decide among themselves how to divide up said payroll,

Players sign with a team but their actual salary is determined by their peers.

Playoff shares are above and beyond regular season salary.

Wacky. What union allows that?

• Upvote 1

After reading all of this, I must say I'm a little nervous for the game of baseball.  Maybe I'm wrong, but MLB needs to be careful in its decisions making over these next few years and make sure it doesn't shoot itself in the foot and potentially destroy this game.

9 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think its ludicrous to have the DH in only the AL.

Sorry but I love the NL game more than the AL.  I want the pitcher to bat. Sorry but that's baseball. I despise the DH. That's not baseball. Sorry if I stepped on someone's toes.