Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What is the benefit of making Davis look like a bad guy?  Fans are already unhappy with him.  You think that if he gets booed he'll retire?

...it's all part of my master plan to negotiate a buy out (rubs mustache between fingers).

6 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

This is almost the same as when the Orioles gave a LARGE CONTRACT to Albert Belle and had to carry him on the 40 Man Roster ALL WINTER so as to have the INSURANCE pay part of his SALARY when he was placed on the 60 DAY DL as soon as possible in the Spring. They were working with a 39 Man Roster each and every winter.  This caused several possible moves to NOT be made during the winter as a roster spot was bring used for Albert Belle.

We need to face the fact that the Orioles for the remainder of his (Chris Davis) contract the Orioles are working with a 24 Man Active Roster and a 39 Man Roster.

At least Belle was good when healthy, and the O's got most of their money back. The Davis contract is several orders of magnitude worse than Belle and Ubaldo. 

If I am on the PR team of Davis's agent, I am advising the client to keep his mouth shut until he OPS's .700 for a month. Otherwise anything he says is going to make himself look stupid.

1 hour ago, ORIOLE33 said:

If I’m Manny or even AJ, I might have some words with Davis.

Yeah, because they've done so well so far being leaders this year. 

Manny isn't a leader. He's putting it all together in his walk year, and it's still too much to ask of him to run hard on every play. 

I can't wait for them both to be gone. I actually don't have any ill-will at Chris Davis. He's what he' always been. A guy who strikes out alot. He just doesn't hit HR anymore. It was going to happen. The Orioles were the ones that gave him that bad contract. Who turns down $160m? 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

At least Belle was good when healthy, and the O's got most of their money back. The Davis contract is several orders of magnitude worse than Belle and Ubaldo. 

If I am on the PR team of Davis's agent, I am advising the client to keep his mouth shut until he OPS's .700 for a month. Otherwise anything he says is going to make himself look stupid.

To me it has less to do with the Money which is/was a sunk cost when he was signed but the roster spot because of his lack of ownership for how bad he is playing. 

Belle played two years of a five year deal and cost the Orioles the options of signing/trading for the fortieth spot on the roster all three of his winters here just to save the money of the contract through insurance.  He also sued the Orioles for Meal Money for the three years he was DL'd and sitting home.  So no, the Orioles did not get Their money ALL back from the contract but a prorated percentage that was insurance covered and lost out on the potential of three added players to the roster.

23 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

To me it has less to do with the Money which is/was a sunk cost when he was signed but the roster spot because of his lack of ownership for how bad he is playing. 

Belle played two years of a five year deal and cost the Orioles the options of signing/trading for the fortieth spot on the roster all three of his winters here just to save the money of the contract through insurance.  He also sued the Orioles for Meal Money for the three years he was DL'd and sitting home.  So no, the Orioles did not get Their money ALL back from the contract but a prorated percentage that was insurance covered and lost out on the potential of three added players to the roster.

Yeah, cause God forbid we don't have the room on the 40 for the Danny Valencia, Craig Genry, and Jace Peterson's of the world. Oh and those 2 or 3 Rule V guys.

This team has more than enough waste of space on the 40 before carrying Davis becomes a roster crisis.

1 hour ago, ORIOLE33 said:

If I’m Manny or even AJ, I might have some words with Davis.

That would be good if they did. But what is worse--and quite probable--is that nothing is said, but rather they hold it in. That is the kind of thing that makes for a bad environment. 

So..... what I'm getting out of this is, Davis doesn't know what's wrong with him at the plate... and therefore he doesn't know how to fix it.

Or, he knows what's wrong, knows he can't fix it, and is lying to everybody to cover it up.

Personally I subscribe to this conspiracy - Chris Davis has lost vision of the ball.  He can't see it.  Like much of the rest of us when a 90+ mph ball is hurled at our vicinity, it's a blur to him.  Whatever medicine he's taking that is not adderall, is not doing its job from a business perspective.  And we are being fed lots of manure through the press.

But, the Orioles have begun tanking.  As such, why not bat your worst hitter fourth, especially when there is the perception that he should be hitting home runs?  Especially once they start trading pieces away, they can leave Davis in there to embarrass himself all season like when a manager leaves a pitcher in to "take one for the team" in a blowout loss.

With three more plate appearances last night, Chris Davis crosses over the 200PA threshold. He's up from .480 to .483, but moves from 40th to 39th lowest OPS by any player with 200PA in the last 50 years.

Some other notable Oriole performances:

• Mark Belanger's 1972 season is 35th (.482)
  • Rick Dempsey's first year joining the Orioles in 1976 is 25th (.466)
  • Juan Bell's 1991 as a utility infielder for the O's is 12th (.450)
  • Angels top prospect (and former Oriole farmhand) Brandon Wood's 2010 with the Angels is the absolute worst; .382 OPS over 243 PAs.

32 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

With three more plate appearances last night, Chris Davis crosses over the 200PA threshold. He's up from .480 to .483, but moves from 40th to 39th lowest OPS by any player with 200PA in the last 50 years.

Some other notable Oriole performances:

• Mark Belanger's 1972 season is 35th (.482)
  • Rick Dempsey's first year joining the Orioles in 1976 is 25th (.466)
  • Juan Bell's 1991 as a utility infielder for the O's is 12th (.450)
  • Angels top prospect (and former Oriole farmhand) Brandon Wood's 2010 with the Angels is the absolute worst; .382 OPS over 243 PAs.

Remember when Brandon Wood was a huge deal on OH?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dark Helmet said:

Yeah, cause God forbid we don't have the room on the 40 for the Danny Valencia, Craig Genry, and Jace Peterson's of the world. Oh and those 2 or 3 Rule V guys.

This team has more than enough waste of space on the 40 before carrying Davis becomes a roster crisis.

And those guys are what you would call in the NBA “role players.” Davis on the other hand, is getting paid like a superstar and is batting in the 150’s. The players you mentioned can be released today. Davis? We’re unfortunately is stuck with.