Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The analysis also says his launch angle is down, wouldn't that be a better place to start.

It's simple

1. Davis isn't a skilled bunter
  2. Davis is really slow and not likely to beat out a lot of bunts
  3. Sprinkling in a few bunt singles isn't going to make the shift go away
  4. The rest of his numbers are so bad that just getting rid of the shift isn't going to suddenly make him good or even average.

They could stop shifting today and a slow guy with a 40% K rate who hits a lot of ground balls is going to be a very poor hitter.

You could be slowest aye in the league and beat out a bunt against the shifts he has received.  I don't buy the not a skilled bunter as pitchers all bunt and he doesn't have to be all that accurate just left side of infield.

Launch angle is probably people pitching him differently.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

The analysis also says his launch angle is down, wouldn't that be a better place to start.

It's simple

1. Davis isn't a skilled bunter
  2. Davis is really slow and not likely to beat out a lot of bunts
  3. Sprinkling in a few bunt singles isn't going to make the shift go away
  4. The rest of his numbers are so bad that just getting rid of the shift isn't going to suddenly make him good or even average.

They could stop shifting today and a slow guy with a 40% K rate who hits a lot of ground balls is going to be a very poor hitter.

Fair enough, but sprinkling in a few bunt singles would make him a more productive hitter than he is now, even with his speed and bad contact.

I know, I get it--that's no long term answer. Might be nice to see once or twice though. Better than his ABs now.

7 minutes ago, gtown said:

Fair enough, but sprinkling in a few bunt singles would make him a more productive hitter than he is now, even with his speed and bad contact.

I know, I get it--that's no long term answer. Might be nice to see once or twice though. Better than his ABs now.

I'll agree about the novelty factor.

1 hour ago, gtman55 said:

Read it and weep... ?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/orioles-slugger-chris-davis-is-on-pace-for-one-of-the-worst-seasons-in-mlb-history/

Inte9resting video along with the article that describes what's going on in the front office as "chaos"...

"They might not win another game".  I doubt that is right but funny to hear.   And Buck in a power struggle?   

The league should look into removing Angelos as owner we if he can't put someone in charge. 

Just now, atomic said:

"They might not win another game".  I doubt that is right but funny to hear.   And Buck in a power struggle?   

The league should look into removing Angelos as owner we if he can't put someone in charge. 

The league doesn't care about that.  The league cares about you selling your parking rights for less than they are worth.

34 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

On a positive note, Davis and Trumbo together are OPSing 1.151, which is just .02 below Mookie Betts' league-leading 1.171 and ahead of Trout's 1.130.   :clap:

No they aren't because OPSs do not add up (it's more like an average). But I get your joke.