Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

58 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don’t think Davis has character issues. But there is ample evidence he doesn’t focus 100% offensively and defensively.

It’s one thing to be bad, but at least be locked in on every pitch.  

He was banned from our playoffs. 

Try to swap salary dumps with Miami (Chen and Prado). Include cash to make up the difference and VVM if we get him or another prospect if not. Same deal to any other team stuck with an albatross contract(s).

Short of that, offer 80-90% of his remaining contract in buyout.

Davis will be going into his age 33 season. 

His defense has dropped off. And, of course, his offense has been dropping precipitously over the years. 

If we look at his walk rate over the last 5 years:

2014: 72 walks in 673 PA =  10.7%

2015: 60 walks in 525 PA = 11.4%

2016: 88 walks in 665 PA = 13.2%

2017: 61 walks in 524 PA = 11.6%

2018: 39 walks in 473 PA = 8.2%

His strikeout rate (by PA) is 4% over his career norms. 

Power is pretty much completely gone. 

To that end, he still has 4 years on his contract. I'm not cutting him based on an abhorrently, awful season. But I'm having an extremely short leash in 2019.

Basically, he'd be told in the offseason he needs to overhaul himself. He'll be batting in the lower half of the lineup. And playing time isn't guaranteed. 

I'd start platooning him and only having him face RHP. 

If he turns it around, great. If he doesn't by mid-season, I'd look towards a buyout/trade and if/when that fails...cut him.

The problem is he'll be 33 next year. And unless a complete overhaul of himself doesn't materialize in a season, we have a 34 year old, aging slugger with declining defensive skills. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

You have to give him a chance next year and then cut him if he’s horrible again. 

He's had two chances for these two years.  I'm not sure what anyone would expect next year.

IMO, 2019 is all about giving the young talent a chance to play and see what they can do.  If Davis is on the team, he's most likely blocking someone, if not directly then he's blocking someone from a roster flexibility standpoint.  

I'm well aware that he'll most likely be on the team next year but I sure hope the Orioles make every effort to figure out a way to get him off the team this offseason.  Ultimately I just think this is a situation where we'll be stuck for awhile.  

• Upvote 3

Let him be a pinch hitter and start him once a week to start next year.  Not sure he's even a good candidate to be a defensive replacement anymore. 

But we tried option 3 this year, all year, and look what he's doing.  Lets take the spotlight off him all together and let him soul search and work things out behind the scenes.  Then re-evaluate at the end of next season.  We're in a re-build so we have the time and space to completely waste a roster spot on him.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

He's had two chances for these two years.  I'm not sure what anyone would expect next year.

IMO, 2019 is all about giving the young talent a chance to play and see what they can do.  If Davis is on the team, he's most likely blocking someone, if not directly then he's blocking someone from a roster flexibility standpoint.  

I'm well aware that he'll most likely be on the team next year but I sure hope the Orioles make every effort to figure out a way to get him off the team this offseason.  Ultimately I just think this is a situation where we'll be stuck for awhile.  

I expect him to suck, but the Orioles will suck, he’s not blocking a prospect, and the Orioles can give him a few months as they pray for a miracle. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, joelala said:

We're in a re-build so we have the time and space to completely waste a roster spot on him.

Disagree. That roster spot needs to go to someone who can help the team in the future.  Unless one of the biggest sports miracles of all time occurs, Davis will not be a factor for the next good Orioles team.  

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Disagree. That roster spot needs to go to someone who can help the team in the future.  Unless one of the biggest sports miracles of all time occurs, Davis will not be a factor for the next good Orioles team.  

Is anyone really knocking on the door at his position though?  Mancini, but he can DH assuming we cut ties with Trumbo.

And I agree with you in principle, but don't see the Orioles eating that much money, so I would prefer my outcome to giving him any more chances as an everyday player until he proves he's a different player than he has been for the past two plus years.

• Upvote 1