Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Davis is going to get to the all star break with only 15 strikeouts.  ?

Actually meant homers ... but you get the point. The only leverage the Orioles would have in a buyout is Davis not wanting to be there. Probably won’t work but I’d take a shot. 

Id be upfront about the whole plan. 

You have an off-season to get straightened out and half season to prove it.

if you perform under that you will be benched and rarely play.

At that point we encourage you to retire and will compensate you with a buy out to do so.

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Actually meant homers ... but you get the point. The only leverage the Orioles would have in a buyout is Davis not wanting to be there. Probably won’t work but I’d take a shot. 

Id be upfront about the whole plan. 

You have an off-season to get straightened out and half season to prove it.

if you perform under that you will be benched and rarely play.

At that point we encourage you to retire and will compensate you with a buy out to do so.

Would you accept a lower amount, if your work offered you this?

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

We mere mortals do this all the time.  However, we are not under contract.  NO Chris Davis is not going to take less money to stop playing.  He might stop out of embarrassment or he may be motivated financially to take a different structure to his payment.  But he is not walking away from the money that he is contractually owed nor should he.

Just now, foxfield said:

We mere mortals do this all the time.  However, we are not under contract.  NO Chris Davis is not going to take less money to stop playing.  He might stop out of embarrassment or he may be motivated financially to take a different structure to his payment.  But he is not walking away from the money that he is contractually owed nor should he.

People can stand a lot of embarrassment for the right amount of money.

And speaking of near mortals, I have seen companies offer significant money to people to encourage them to retire. Wish it would happen to me. LOL

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

People can stand a lot of embarrassment for the right amount of money.

And speaking of near mortals, I have seen companies offer significant money to people to encourage them to retire. Wish it would happen to me. LOL

I do not expect Chris Davis to lesson the burden for Baltimore.  Not by retiring, not by accepting a buyout.  I think Chris will make every effort to earn the money and that it will be up to the Orioles to determine when that is no longer worth enduring.

Personally, i think he is done and would like to see him gone, but I just do not think it is going to happen which is why I say put him in the pen.  When he breaks...(see Weams' thread) you can pay him to be elsewhere.  

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

I do not expect Chris Davis to lesson the burden for Baltimore.  Not by retiring, not by accepting a buyout.  I think Chris will make every effort to earn the money and that it will be up to the Orioles to determine when that is no longer worth enduring.

Personally, i think he is done and would like to see him gone, but I just do not think it is going to happen which is why I say put him in the pen.  When he breaks...(see Weams' thread) you can pay him to be elsewhere.  

Like he has on defense recently and how he did last offseason?

I look at Davis and I don't see someone working as hard as they can.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Like he has on defense recently and how he did last offseason?

I look at Davis and I don't see someone working as hard as they can.

To be fair, I am stating what I believe will be his position.  I agree with you.  My point is I don't think he is getting better and I don't think he will be shamed out of the game and I don't think he retires or takes a buyout that reduces him financially.  Nor do I think he should.  I DO think the Orioles almost have to find someway to get value before they swallow and I think putting him in the bullpen would be the best way to do that.

Of course, If I were a new GM, Id simply cut him.  If he cannot work to improve at this stage, he would decline even if he were good.  And his body of work increasingly says his good years were outliers and we know that at least one was tainted.  Why remind the franchise of its mistake every single day.  Thanks Chris.  Bye.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Happens all the time in the business world, and even government.    But, not for this kind of coin.     Many workers who accept buyouts then go get another job that more than makes up the difference between their prior pay and their buyout.    That obviously won’t happen with Davis.   So yeah, I’d expect him to sit on the bench if that’s what it takes to collect his $92 mm.

31 minutes ago, oriole said:

i voted other. I would keep him around for the rebuild but as soon as things start to look up, I would release him assuming he hadn't turned it around. 

This makes the most sense .By the time we are competitive again his contract will be up or what's left will be edible.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Happens all the time in the business world, and even government.    But, not for this kind of coin.     Many workers who accept buyouts then go get another job that more than makes up the difference between their prior pay and their buyout.    That obviously won’t happen with Davis.   So yeah, I’d expect him to sit on the bench if that’s what it takes to collect his $92 mm.

I still say there are a lot of folks that would be happy getting say 80 million and just walking away.  Not much you can buy for 92 million that you can't for 80.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I still say there are a lot of folks that would be happy getting say 80 million and just walking away.  Not much you can buy for 92 million that you can't for 80.

Especially if you're getting it all up front. The difference can be made up with some kind of managed investment account with any number of well known firms fairly easily.

8 minutes ago, Mondo Trasho said:

Especially if you're getting it all up front. The difference can be made up with some kind of managed investment account with any number of well known firms fairly easily.

Eighty up front might be worth more than 92 when you factor in the deferred money.