Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

Just now, joelala said:

Is anyone really knocking on the door at his position though?  Mancini, but he can DH assuming we cut ties with Trumbo.

And I agree with you in principle, but don't see the Orioles eating that much money, so I would prefer my outcome to giving him any more chances as an everyday player until he proves he's a different player than he has been for the past two plus years.

Disregard, this has already been addressed.  My bad.

10 minutes ago, joelala said:

Is anyone really knocking on the door at his position though?  Mancini, but he can DH assuming we cut ties with Trumbo.

And I agree with you in principle, but don't see the Orioles eating that much money, so I would prefer my outcome to giving him any more chances as an everyday player until he proves he's a different player than he has been for the past two plus years.

I prefer any outcome where he's not on the roster on opening day, 2019.  He's had two years of absolutely terrible play, he doesn't deserve a third.  

I don't think that's realistic, though.  I think we're stuck with him for awhile.  

• Upvote 1

We're not going anywhere the next few years. Play him as long as he is not blocking someone. Once Trumbo is gone there's more room to play Mancini. last 7 days: 

.368 .429 .421 .850

second half: 

.220 .300 .409

He might even be serviceable next year, Who knows?

Edited by El Gordo

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I prefer any outcome where he's not on the roster on opening day, 2019.  He's had two years of absolutely terrible play, he doesn't deserve a third.  

I don't think that's realistic, though.  I think we're stuck with him for awhile.  

We agree 100% in this regard then.

29 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, he does block a prospect.  

For argument's sake, let's assume that Jones isn't back next year.  With Davis, Trumbo and Mancini back, you're looking at an outfield of Mullins in CF, Mancini in LF and Hays/Diaz in RF.  Trumbo at DH and Davis at 1st.

You'd much rather have an outfield of Diaz, Mullins, and Hays with Mancini at 1st.  And Mancini isn't great at 1st base but at least he's not in the outfield.

You're correct in the sense that he's not blocking a stud 1st base prospect but he does hinder the team from a roster flexibility perspective.

Mancini should DH, because he is poor defensively at 1B or LF. Trumbo presents an issue in this regard, but I'm hoping we can mange to deal him this off-season.

3 hours ago, weams said:

I disagree. I'd rather try other options. Not Tumbo. Not Davis. 

Yes, except are you growing a mystery first baseman somewhere we all don’t know about?  Garabez Rosa?  Aderlin Rodriguez?  Pedro?  No better options for 2019 that I see. 

I vote that if you are paying him, play him.

For no other reason than to keep him around the length of the contract so when the Orioles become a faint hope in 2021 his play/contract is a constant reminder of "WHY YOU NEVER GIVE MORE THAN A THREE YEAR CONTRACT TO ANYONE."

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, joelala said:

Isn’t there a good chance that w/o Davis planted at first we’d be grooming Mountcastle as a future 1st baseman? Given his offensive upside, adequate glove but weak throwing arm he sure looks like he could handle the position a lot better than third. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Isn’t there a good chance that w/o Davis planted at first we’d be grooming Mountcastle as a future 1st baseman? Given his offensive upside, adequate glove but weak throwing arm he sure looks like he could handle the position a lot better than third. 

Yeah... I believe I've mentioned it before, but if Mountcastle isn't long for 3B, 1B seems like the next logical possibility.  

1 hour ago, theobird said:

I negotiate some kind of a buyout, if possible. If Davis side does not entertain any buyout negotiations, then I cut him loose and bite the bullet. You cannot run the worst player in the history of the game out there for another season.

There are no buyouts. 

• Upvote 1