Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m extremely doubtful that he’ll give up any money.    And in my opinion, people who think the O’s can increase the pressure on him by benching him are kidding themselves.     For $23 mm/yr, he’ll sit however much it takes.   

That SI article makes me think that if he continues to play as poorly as he did last year that he would take a buyout.  I don't think he would give up a huge amount but he might be willing to defer more of it.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m extremely doubtful that he’ll give up any money.    And in my opinion, people who think the O’s can increase the pressure on him by benching him are kidding themselves.     For $23 mm/yr, he’ll sit however much it takes.   

You don't know until you try.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

That SI article makes me think that if he continues to play as poorly as he did last year that he would take a buyout.  I don't think he would give up a huge amount but he might be willing to defer more of it.

If I had to make a prediction on an end game, this would be my guess on what happens if Davis keeps performing at this level. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is my feeling.  There is no reason to give money away.  That is a commitment both sides have made.  The only real question is how long are the new Orioles willing to let him stay...either sitting or hating baseball.  Money is gone, if Im the new Pres or GM, I let CD know he is either ready for a roster spot at the end of camp or he is done.  Then I offer Davis a guaranteed personal service contract to the Baltimore Orioles in the exact amount of his remaining contract for 10 years of service....for the small act of his retirement.  Honestly it's a win for everyone.  He gets his money.  The Orioles can find a way to use him and he is off the roster.

Done.

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

This is my feeling.  There is no reason to give money away.  That is a commitment both sides have made.  The only real question is how long are the new Orioles willing to let him stay...either sitting or hating baseball.  Money is gone, if Im the new Pres or GM, I let CD know he is either ready for a roster spot at the end of camp or he is done.  Then I offer Davis a guaranteed personal service contract to the Baltimore Orioles in the exact amount of his remaining contract for 10 years of service....for the small act of his retirement.  Honestly it's a win for everyone.  He gets his money.  The Orioles can find a way to use him and he is off the roster.

Done.

Of course he has a reason.  He can retire and spend time with his family.

That does have value.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course he has a reason.  He can retire and spend time with his family.

That does have value.

Sure he could...and the article hints he has thought about it.  But he didn't and the likelihood is that the money for 4 years is too much to walk away from.  So....IF he is determined to stay...why not offer the remaining money to retire?  

Do you really think having Chris Davis for 4 more years is what a rebuilding President and GM are going to fight through?  I don't.  And I don't think anyone want's to be a part of hoping Chris Davis hates it enough to quit anymore than they should be foolish enough at this point to expect the new adventures of old Chris.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

So on top of Davis's abysmal performance O's fans may have to listen to this type of palaver from him for up to four more years? What really annoys me is that there is no sense in what he says that *he* and Buck's defense of him have been a major reason twice now that Buck could not succeed: the suspension in 2014 and the historically bad 2018.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't know, there hasn't been a situation quite like this one where someone making this much money basically sits for 4 years. Something's gotta give.

12 hours ago, foxfield said:

Sure he could...and the article hints he has thought about it.  But he didn't and the likelihood is that the money for 4 years is too much to walk away from.  So....IF he is determined to stay...why not offer the remaining money to retire?  

Do you really think having Chris Davis for 4 more years is what a rebuilding President and GM are going to fight through?  I don't.  And I don't think anyone want's to be a part of hoping Chris Davis hates it enough to quit anymore than they should be foolish enough at this point to expect the new adventures of old Chris.

If the total amount is a write-off, then just cut him if he doesn't improve and do away with the unnecessary step.  I agree that a struggling Chris Davis and the media spotlight that goes with it is exactly what a rebuilding team doesn't need.

Archived