Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I have read my free articles for the month....is there anything enlightening in this?

He seriously said this:

not having a whole lot to prove

As for an actual plan, he doesn't seem to have much of one.

"For me, it starts as soon as I start working out," Davis said. "This offseason, I'm going to take about three weeks off. I usually take about three weeks off from any activity to let my body heal up. There were some injuries that obviously I battled throughout the season that went unnoticed, but that's with any player. You kind of battle things throughout the course of the season where once the season's over with, you want to give your body a chance to heal and kind of recover. But I know there's a lot of work to do for me. ... I think there's a lot of information out there. I think there's a lot of things that are very beneficial to me, and I'm looking to explore those."

Sounds like he is going to take three weeks off and then start looking at things that might help.

Doesn't sound like someone with a burning desire to improve.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He seriously said this:

As for an actual plan, he doesn't seem to have much of one.

Sounds like he is going to take three weeks off and then start looking at things that might help.

Doesn't sound like someone with a burning desire to improve.

Come up with a better cover plan when he lies about how often he worked during the off-season?  

17 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I don't know, there hasn't been a situation quite like this one where someone making this much money basically sits for 4 years. Something's gotta give.

I agree with this.  I don't think he should be run out, as I suggested all Gordo Gecko-ish earlier in this thread, but they should be aggressive in getting him off the payroll.  It doesn't seem like he is committed to working on his problems AND he cannot be on a young team making that bank to suck so historically.

So I'm back to Gordon Gecko mode and am going to take a bath with a new bar of soap and a wire brush.?

14 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I agree with this.  I don't think he should be run out, as I suggested all Gordo Gecko-ish earlier in this thread, but they should be aggressive in getting him off the payroll.  It doesn't seem like he is committed to working on his problems AND he cannot be on a young team making that bank to suck so historically.

So I'm back to Gordon Gecko mode and am going to take a bath with a new bar of soap and a wire brush.?

They can have him sit on bench for entire season.  They will have tons of guys with options they can shuttle back and forth.  Make him the bench coach.  What do those guys do anyway?  Spit some seeds and tell the manager good move?

16 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

The team won't contend as long as he is on it,

I don’t think new coaching can fix bat speed. Pitchers figured out to just pitch him inside. He got by with pitchers seeing a hulking slugger at the plate, and they were naturally afraid to pitch inside. Once that got exposed, he was done.  

My suggestion would be for him to stand off that plate like Harold Baines. That and drop some bunts down. He might put up a .700 OPS, but apparently it’s cooler now to be the worst player in baseball history than to drop bunts down against the shift. 

Not to be blasphemic or "non-holy", his wife did say that (and I paraphrase), "God has a plan."  He believes that whatever God's plan is will lead him either to better baseball, the strength to withstand all of the criticism or perhaps some middle ground.  We shall see how it all plays out.  We've seen some "old guys" make the majors for the first time and succeed.  CD has had past successes so this will be a different route.  This thread may one day be a "classic thread"!  :deadhorse:⚾

3 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Not to be blasphemic or "non-holy", his wife did say that (and I paraphrase), "God has a plan."  He believes that whatever God's plan is will lead him either to better baseball, the strength to withstand all of the criticism or perhaps some middle ground.  We shall see how it all plays out.  We've seen some "old guys" make the majors for the first time and succeed.  CD has had past successes so this will be a different route.  This thread may one day be a "classic thread"!  :deadhorse:⚾

Divine intervention might be our best shot at this point.

Archived