Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d be happy with an age 34 Adam Dunn season from Davis this year. .200 BA. 750 OPS. The key for Davis is hitting dingers. He needs to fully invest in the all or nothing approach and hit 25+

I think he's already had that approach.  

Some others have said it here, I agree; I want him to fail miserably this season.  I think the worst thing that could happen is what you outlined above because that still keeps him around.  And even at a .750 OPS with some dingers, he still doesn't do anything for a team in a full rebuild mode.  He's still not worth that contract. 

Sure, it'd make watching him not as insufferable, but hopefully he's gone sometime this summer.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d be happy with an age 34 Adam Dunn season from Davis this year. .200 BA. 750 OPS. The key for Davis is hitting dingers. He needs to fully invest in the all or nothing approach and hit 25+

With the launch angle craze just about every MLB player can hit 20-25 hrs. In this day and age to justify a .200 BA he's need to have Joey Gallo like production. 

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think he's already had that approach.  

Some others have said it here, I agree; I want him to fail miserably this season.  I think the worst thing that could happen is what you outlined above because that still keeps him around.  And even at a .750 OPS with some dingers, he still doesn't do anything for a team in a full rebuild mode.  He's still not worth that contract. 

Sure, it'd make watching him not as insufferable, but hopefully he's gone sometime this summer.

There is a lot of logic to this, but it’d be so damned painful to watch Davis have another year like the last one.    I wouldn’t wish that on Davis or myself.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

There is a lot of logic to this, but it’d be so damned painful to watch Davis have another year like the last one.    I wouldn’t wish that on Davis or myself.   

Yeah, perhaps that was a bit too harsh.  

But it's what I expect out of him at this point.  

I want to see him wildly succeed. I think that would be the craziest story in baseball this year. It won't happen, but it would be nuts. Of course that mucks up all manner of things - blocking roster spots, forcing the team to hold onto him another year, etc. But it would be absolutely bananas and I would have fun watching it happen. 

Elias is savvy enough to still rebuild properly with Davis on the team. After all, that's what he signed up to do. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I want to see him wildly succeed. I think that would be the craziest story in baseball this year. It won't happen, but it would be nuts. Of course that mucks up all manner of things - blocking roster spots, forcing the team to hold onto him another year, etc. But it would be absolutely bananas and I would have fun watching it happen. 

Elias is savvy enough to still rebuild properly with Davis on the team. After all, that's what he signed up to do. 

I’m sure Davis was discussed throughly during the interview process. That would have been my first question if I was Elias.

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Me too.    And you’re right that it would be better to have him be that bad and cut him than to have him mildly rebound to a place where he’s still a little sub-replacement but not so awful that we cut him.   But I can’t say I wish for him to be that awful.   

41 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He seemed happy go lucky in his MASN interview yesterday. Made another comment on his emotional side. 

21 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’m sure Davis was discussed throughly during the interview process. That would have been my first question if I was Elias.

I would never have thought it needed brought up were I interviewing. A much larger picture than one spoiled contract at stake in all of this. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I would wish that on myself at $23 mill/year.  If you want to throw things at me, I'll just wear a helmet.

1 hour ago, weams said:

I would never have thought it needed brought up were I interviewing. A much larger picture than one spoiled contract at stake in all of this. 

Well I don’t think Elias wants to carry Davis on the 25 man roster for 4 more years just because he is getting paid a lot of money.

I’m certain he wanted some reassurance that Davis could be cut loose or bought out.