Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Only 30 of these jobs.  You can go from hot property to also ran in an offseason or two.  Just look at Kim Ng.

Elias is 36 and was working for perhaps the best organization in the sport. I can’t see why anyone with his resume would be in a hurry to leave.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I think they are mostly on the same page with the majority of the new direction. I do think ownership has the right to have a few caveats when they hire anybody in Elias' role. Certainly Elias had a good enough thing going in Houston where he wouldn't have to say yes if he had a bad vibe. So I think he has about as much control as any GM has had here since PA has been the owner, and thus he's here. The international effort is proof enough.

That said, do I think there was Davis caveat? Yes, of course I do. The Davis Thing cannot be handled by Elias alone, as much as we want it to be. Davis is getting paid an historic amount, it was a deal brokered by Peter himself, there's a lot of baggage there that hugely affects the value of the franchise. He was always going to get this full year, I think, even though I myself have wavered on that here and there. I will not be surprised to see him in ST, either. They will carry him until it is absolutely indefensible from a winning or development standpoint to do so. That time is approaching, but it's not here yet. With some roster reorganization/trades, it may not be there next year either, even with Mountcastle on the roster. 

Does that negate all the good Elias will bring? No, of course not. But yes, we have to wait and see just how much rope Davis gets because sooner or later it will interfere with Elias' plan. That fear is understandable, but it doesn't make Elias a bad GM nor does it make the Angelos Bros. bad owners. It's just not that simple. 

I’m sure the Davis topic was brought up. 

I have also said before the best time to have someone like a Davis and his contract on a roster is now and not when you have a competitive team. 

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Elias is 36 and was working for perhaps the best organization in the sport. I can’t see why anyone with his resume would be in a hurry to leave.

Ask Kim Ng.

You turn down a job you might not ever get offered one again.

Not sure that's a risk I would take over Chris Davis.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ask Kim Ng.

Kim Ng has the resume of Elias?

Elias has pretty much done everything other than be a GM. I just can’t a see a 36 year old on the rise leaving a great organization if he thought he didn’t have a chance to succeed.

If he takes a job and is a failure he may never get another chance. 

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Kim Ng has the resume of Elias?

Elias has pretty much done everything other than be a GM. I just can’t a see a 36 year old on the rise leaving a great organization if he thought he didn’t have a chance to succeed.

If he takes a job and is a failure he may never get another chance. 

This is from 2011.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-xpm-2011-oct-26-la-sp-1027-elliott-kim-ng-20111027-story,amp.html

She certainly had the qualifications needed.  She still does but it appears she is now just an inclusion interview.

If by small market you mean 90%+ of all sporting teams in the US.  Doesn't mean you sacrifice the future for a shot at the second wild card.

I understand your point. If you think you have a legitimate chance to get into the crapshoot playoffs you do it. 

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I certainly was, and don't regret it for a minute.  I enjoyed wins.  And I will again when they eventually come back.

Yeah we had five seasons of big crowds and fun times.  

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

His contract makes him set for life even if he never gets another GM gig.  

This is from 2011.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-xpm-2011-oct-26-la-sp-1027-elliott-kim-ng-20111027-story,amp.html

She certainly had the qualifications needed.  She still does but it appears she is now just an inclusion interview.

Never said she wasn’t qualified. I think Elias has a better resume. 

We aren’t going to agree on this. 

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why because he is a man?  She was assistant GM from 2005 to 2011.   She is more qualified by a long shot.  

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Even if I accept that he does have a marginally better resume the truth of the matter is she went from coveted property to courtesy interview in a few years.  Not a lot of these jobs open up and mostly if you get offered one you take it.

TLC never got a full time GM gig and I'm betting he won't ever get another interview for one.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ask Kim Ng.

I was curious about the people who turned down the O's job that eventually went to Duquette.

Tony LaCava was briefly the interim GM of the Blue Jays in 2015, and has had various other assistant and vice president roles with the Jays, but has never been a full-time GM.

Jerry DiPoto has been the Angels and Mariners GM since then.

De Jon Watson hasn't had a GM job, but instead a series of special assistant and VP positions with various organizations.

Scott Proefrock is still an assistant GM with the Phils. 

I forget the details and who turned them down, who pulled out of the competition, and how the final selection was made.  I just remember Duquette was something like the 4th or 5th choice.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

Why because he is a man?  She was assistant GM from 2005 to 2011.   She is more qualified by a long shot.  

Yep, I’m sexist you got me. Once again, never said she should not have been a candidate.