Olson

Pushmonkey

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a few thoughts about this:

1. vatech1994 thinks Olson needs a catcher that sets a target and frames pitches better than Ramon. When it comes to pitching, I give a lot of credence to what vatech1994 has to say. I'd really like to give Olson a shot with Quiroz (or Wieters!).

2. Olson's a major league pitcher. The question is whether he's a major league starter. He's usually good for 3-4 innings and runs into trouble in the 5th or 6th.

3. There's no point in sending him back to AAA. He's done all he can do down there. He's domianted at that level.

4. We don't have any better candidate for our rotation.

5. This is a rebuilding year. Let Olson take his lumps and see if he can figure it out.

I say all this even though I'm just as frustrated as you.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7940

7 of his last 8 starts have been poor and the only good start in there was against a poor hitting Washington team. Yes, he might do very well in AAA but lets face it that's AAA. He has not shown confidence at the Major League level.

You're right, he looked scared s***less when he held the Yankees to 3 hits and 0 runs over 7 innings a while back.

Its not a confidence issue with Olson. Its simply being able to remain consistent with his stuff throughout a game. His biggest problem right now is getting people out the 3rd time through the order. He'll either learn how to do that and be a solid #3ish starter, or he won't, and he'll be a solid reliever. But there is no valid argument that he'd be better suited in Norfolk.

I think it's more than not being able to throw strikes. His stuff just looks very mediocre.

This I agree with. His fastball is very mediocre... right now, anyways.

He has no idea where his changeup is going and he depends entirely too much on being perfect with his curveball, which is a good one.

I have concerns about his stuff as well. He could probably bring up the back end of a decent rotation, but right now he's struggling. Hopefully he'll refine things with some experience.

You're right, he looked scared s***less when he held the Yankees to 3 hits and 0 runs over 7 innings a while back.

Its not a confidence issue with Olson. Its simply being able to remain consistent with his stuff throughout a game. His biggest problem right now is getting people out the 3rd time through the order. He'll either learn how to do that and be a solid #3ish starter, or he won't, and he'll be a solid reliever. But there is no valid argument that he'd be better suited in Norfolk.

That was May 26th... I would say that was one if not his last real solid start-beside the Washington game. I think with Liz, Burress and Olson they have 3 #3 starters or quality bullpen arms. Due to the fact that they cruise for 2-3 innings then get knocked around or have control issues that drive up pitch counts.

I think with Liz, Burress and Olson they have 3 #3 starters or quality bullpen arms. Due to the fact that they cruise for 2-3 innings then get knocked around or have control issues that drive up pitch counts.
I agree with you, although Liz has a higher upside if he can actually develop some command, although I think thats unlikely. He could be much better than the other two though. Similarly, Olson has much higher upside than Burres, who really is only a #5 or a swing man.

But, if these guys don't develop as starters, I'm very confidant that Liz and Olson will make excellent relievers, and Burres will be decent in that role.

I have a few thoughts about this:

1. vatech1994 thinks Olson needs a catcher that sets a target and frames pitches better than Ramon. When it comes to pitching, I give a lot of credence to what vatech1994 has to say. I'd really like to give Olson a shot with Quiroz (or Wieters!).

I don't think it is the catcher that is the problem with Olson. Olson's had similar pretty bad numbers whether its Hernandez, Quiroz, or Paul Bako catching him.

With Hernandez catching Olson, Olson has an OPS against him of .817 this year. Olson's OPS against is .796 in his three games throwing to Quiroz.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=olsonga01&year=2008

With Paul Bako last year, Olson's OPS against was .865.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=olsonga01&year=2007

These numbers were before tonight's game.

If Olson may or may not be better suited as a reliever, then let's have him switch roles with someone like Jim Johnson -- who may or may not be better suited for the rotation -- and have Olson earn his way back to the rotation. Something is wrong with Olson right now, at least as a starter. He is not the same pitcher he was two months ago.

Trot him out there and teach him how to get major league hitters out.

Olson can't learn much more in AAA. He needs to learn at the big league level. It's difficult to watch, but send him out there every five days, and see if he can learn something, grow up, and help us in 2009.

If Olson may or may not be better suited as a reliever, then let's have him switch roles with someone like Jim Johnson -- who may or may not be better suited for the rotation -- and have Olson earn his way back to the rotation. Something is wrong with Olson right now, at least as a starter. He is not the same pitcher he was two months ago.
This makes perfect sense.

The best way for Olson to learn how to be a major league starter is definitely to be doing something other than being a major league starter...

Oh wait, that doesn't make any sense.

Olson stays in the rotation. The bullpen is only a slightly better option than Norfolk and still a far worse option than the MLB rotation.

Olson just doesn't have it. He can't even command his fastball and no way with his marginal stuff that he can get guys out on 2-1, 3-1 counts all the time. Not that anybody's going to do too well behind in the count all the time. I don't want him sent down because we don't need to rush another kid up here to get his brains beat out but no way should they go into the offseason with Olson in the rotation being an option in '09.

I didn't see tonights start but it sounds like he struggled with commanding the fastball again. It seems to me he has little confidence in the fastball and as a major league pitcher you aren't going to get by without being able to throw the ole #1 a high percentage of the time. I'm certainly concerned and frustrated but the thing I keep telling myself is once he gets the confidence and control back with the fastball it's only going to help since he has learned to throw his offspeed stuff in pretty much any count.

That's a 2 for 1.

Ruin Johnson by taking him out of the role he's actually performed well in. Look at his numbers as a starter. They are far from pretty.

Retard Olson's development even more by taking away starts.

Solid logic there.

Olson just doesn't have it. He can't even command his fastball and no way with his marginal stuff that he can get guys out on 2-1, 3-1 counts all the time. Not that anybody's going to do too well behind in the count all the time. I don't want him sent down because we don't need to rush another kid up here to get his brains beat out but no way should they go into the offseason with Olson in the rotation being an option in '09.
If Olson continued to struggle, then they won't go into the offseason with him as an option.

But, if he uses this opportunity and figures things out and pitches well in the second half then they can count on him.

So they are using the remainder of this season to see if they can count on him in the rotation for next season. Just like all the calm-headed people in this thread are suggesting they do.

Archived