Manny signs with Padres

weams

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think the Padres will contend this year, but they have a terrific farm system and stand a pretty good chance of contending pretty soon.    

Barring serious injury, I think Manny will earn that deal.    But we’ll see.

Now we’ll find out if Harper gets more money than Manny.   I predicted he would, you said he wouldn’t.   I don’t particularly want to be right about that, but I think I will be.   

When did I say Manny would get more money than Harper?  

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Well color me shocked.  If you'd have told me before he became a free agent that Manny would end up in San Diego, I wouldn't have believed it.  In fact, of all the California teams, San Diego is probably the one I'd have least expected up until recently.  While I'm not convinced it's where Manny truly wanted to be, both sides got what they were looking for and until the next time, we don't have to listen or hear about Manny potentially going to NY or Boston, thank goodness. 

And if you were one of those people who thought he wouldn't get a deal in excess of $300 million, you were very soundly proven wrong.  

When I heard about San Diego, I was pulling for them.  As others have mentioned not being a AL Easter makes me very happy.

Technically, he didn't get in excess of 300 million ;)

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

When did I say Manny would get more money than Harper?  

My apologies, I was looking at an old post of yours and interpreted it to mean you thought Manny would get more.  But in looking for it just now, I came across several posts where you said Harper would get more.     Here is the post I misinterpreted:

On a side point, as already discussed, I never said Manny would get $400 mm, and in fact argued the opposite several times.   But I did think he’d get $300 mm.

21 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah I was wrong.  Never underestimate the stupidity of baseball owners.  Now they can pay $21 million to Harper and $30 million to Manny and still finish in last place as they don't have any pitching. 

This is what you wrote.  So you meant to say Hosmer rather than Harper.   OK, that makes more sense.

23 minutes ago, atomic said:

Robin Yount. 

What about Robin Yount?  Through age 25 his best year was an .840 OPS with 23 homers.  When he had his big 1st MVP season Cal was already in the league and winning the ROY. 

Certainly there had been big-hitting shortstops prior to 1982.  Wagner. Banks, Vaughn. Stephens.  Among others.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

This is what you wrote.  So you meant to say Hosmer rather than Harper.   OK, that makes more sense.

It would be funny if Harper did end up with the Padres though and signed a 10 year contract.  And if the Padres were terrible no one would ever hear from them again.   

It looks like we only play 2 games against the Padres this year and both are in San Diego.  One is at 10:10 PM and the other is a Tuesday day game. Most of us will probably miss those games. 

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What about Robin Yount?  Through age 25 his best year was an .840 OPS with 23 homers.  When he had his big 1st MVP season Cal was already in the league and winning the ROY

Certainly there had been big-hitting shortstops prior to 1982.  Wagner. Banks, Vaughn. Stephens.  Among others.

Half the '82 season Cal Played third base.  Maybe seeing Yount hit so well at short gave Earl the idea to move Cal to short.

Yount had 83 offensive WAR.  I would say he was a big offensive 

Archived